One large pool or multiple small pools?

shrydvd

Question

This question has probably been answered, but I can't seem to word it correctly to find in the forum.

I have used DrivePool & Scanner for a little over a year, but basically just left them "as is" and never messed with it.  Now though, my drives are filling & I have been playing with it.  

I have 8 external hard drives, ranging in size from 2-4Tb.  Currently I have them all in one pool of "Family Media" which consists of "Music", "Movies", "TV Shows", "Pictures", etc.  So, my question is, would it be better to keep it like it is, in one large pool, or to have multiple smaller pools, say for example: Drives 1/2 - Movies Pool, Drives 3/4, TV Shows Pool, etc.  Or, am I "overthinking" everything and it will make no difference.  To be honest, I'm not sure what I am wanting to accomplish other than "lightning fast, immediate opening of 25 files at once and no impact on system resources".  Of course, that's a joke, but really, is there any benefit in the set up of multiple small pools, one large pool or maybe even sub-pools of a large pool?

Thank you,

David

4 answers to this question

I am assuming no duplication, no backups and stable connections to the hard drives. In that case, I would think a single large Pool makes most sense. The reason being that should scanner find an issue and trigger DP to evacuate a drive, you have the best chances the other drives will be able to take on the load. With smaller pools, that is a question for each pool separately.

Performance wise? No issue or noticeable difference.

Thank you Umfriend.   I actually do have everything duplicated, but I believe your answer explains either scenario.  If there is no difference in performance, and the larger pool offering better chance of success if scanner finds issue, I'll stick to what I'm doing with the one large pool.

Thank you again!

David

will confirm that there shouldn't be any performance impact.   But that is a "it depends" sort of thing.  If you have antivirus software installed or certain disk tools, then they can cause an increasing impact, the more more layers there are.   But this should be minimal, as this is all handled in the kernel. 

19 hours ago, shrydvd said:

Thank you Umfriend.   I actually do have everything duplicated, but I believe your answer explains either scenario.  If there is no difference in performance, and the larger pool offering better chance of success if scanner finds issue, I'll stick to what I'm doing with the one large pool.

Thank you again!

David

Yes, duplication does not matter, unless, you want to use a backup solution that uses VSS (like Windows Server) or some sort of images and want to avoid backing up both duplicates. But if not, then it does not matter.