Folder placement with preferred order for drives.

bytemaster

Question

Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed.

When using Folder placement, is it possible to specify the order in which the nominated drives are filled, or are files within the folder distributed across the nominated drives.

To clarify (I hope). If I have a folder Music which I wish to keep as consolidated as possible, can I specify store all "Music" files on Drive 1 until Drive 1 is filled (to say 90%), and then store any further "Music" files on Drive 2. It doesn't seem clear if that is what happens or if "Music" files are simply distributed across all of the drives allowed for that folder rule.

Thanks - Nigel

11 answers to this question

Nigel,

I don't think so, .... yet. But if you notice that the last two official beta releases have both been related (the more recent being a bunch of fixes and improvements to the rules engine)...

I've bugged it, so that Alex will definitely see it.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/3191

Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed.

When using Folder placement, is it possible to specify the order in which the nominated drives are filled, or are files within the folder distributed across the nominated drives.

To clarify (I hope). If I have a folder Music which I wish to keep as consolidated as possible, can I specify store all "Music" files on Drive 1 until Drive 1 is filled (to say 90%), and then store any further "Music" files on Drive 2. It doesn't seem clear if that is what happens or if "Music" files are simply distributed across all of the drives allowed for that folder rule.

Thanks - Nigel

I think the Ordered File Placement plugin could be used to do this. Setup your folder rule to place all music on drive 1 & 2. Then use the OFP plugin to designate drive 1 with a higher priority than drive 2.

I think the Ordered File Placement plugin could be used to do this. Setup your folder rule to place all music on drive 1 & 2. Then use the OFP plugin to designate drive 1 with a higher priority than drive 2.

Yeah, that should work. The Ordered File Placement plugin uses real-time file placement limits to determine which disks get new files and the File Placement balancer will respect those limits by default (unless you change that).

The file system should respect both rules as well.

Yeah, that should work. The Ordered File Placement plugin uses real-time file placement limits to determine which disks get new files and the File Placement balancer will respect those limits by default (unless you change that).

The file system should respect both rules as well.

Actually, I suspected as much, but I wasn't certain. 

I wanted Alex to weigh in, just to be certain. :)

Assuming the case of say 8 disks, D1 through D8 where OFP has D1 as highest priority to D8 with lowest priority.

If I understand correctly if the MUSIC folder was set to use File Placement Balancer on D1 and D2 then MUSIC would go first to D1 until full and then to D2. However other files would also be placed on D1 by the OFP unless excluded, by other FP rules. Which is not what was hoped for.

However if the MUSIC folder was "assigned" to say D7 and D8 then the OFP wouldn't start to place non-MUSIC files on D7 and D8 until the pool was nearly full. So the question then is, would the OFP operate in this circumstance, when you are attempting to place files partway along the priority chain, rather than starting at the beginning.

Thanks - Nigel

However if the MUSIC folder was "assigned" to say D7 and D8 then the OFP wouldn't start to place non-MUSIC files on D7 and D8 until the pool was nearly full. So the question then is, would the OFP operate in this circumstance, when you are attempting to place files partway along the priority chain, rather than starting at the beginning.

Thanks - Nigel

I see what you're saying, I was thinking about the first case specifically. You're right this would not work.

With this setup you would end up with conflicting rules that will cancel themselves out. I'll think about how we can solve this.

Can anyone explain to me, why it is a problem to have a plug in that lets me but my files where i want them to be?

I see how the "ordered file placement" plug in does kind of this thing, but not really.

Say i have 4 Disks and 1 Pool containing all those 4 Disks.

If i want all my movies on one of those Disks, why cant all those file placement plug ins be ignored and i just copy the files in the PoolPart folder by hand?

Can anyone explain to me, why it is a problem to have a plug in that lets me but my files where i want them to be?

I see how the "ordered file placement" plug in does kind of this thing, but not really.

Say i have 4 Disks and 1 Pool containing all those 4 Disks.

If i want all my movies on one of those Disks, why cant all those file placement plug ins be ignored and i just copy the files in the PoolPart folder by hand?

As far as I know, you can do just that. I think that you are advised to stop the Drivepool service before, then restart the service when you have finished. Also you would presumably want to disable the Balancers. However this is just my understanding, as a new user. I suggest you wait for a definitive statement from Alex or Christopher, I am sure one of them will appear before long.

What happens when a disk gets full? Or you need to remove a disk, or?

There are a number of good reasons for why it automatically balancers. And you may want to check out the following link for a list of reasons why:

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=About%20Balancing

However, once the files are on the disk, for the most part, they will remain there.

Additionally, we've recently added the option to gain fine control over where files end up. This is for both existing and future files. And from what you have posted, that sounds like it may be what you want.

http://blog.covecube.com/2014/04/stablebit-drivepool-2-1-0-503-beta-per-folder-balancing/