NFS on WHS 2011

RJGNOW

Question

12 answers to this question

This only happens on upgrade?

And this is with the built in NFS Server for WHS2011?

If so, then it's possible because the pooled disk is disappearing temporarily during the upgrade process.

What version of DrivePool are you using again?

And we'll look into this. (https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/2186)

This only happens on upgrade?

And this is with the built in NFS Server for WHS2011?

If so, then it's possible because the pooled disk is disappearing temporarily during the upgrade process.

What version of DrivePool are you using again?

And we'll look into this. (https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/2186)

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Build .513

Oh and I should add that every update requires me to first uninstall SB, Reboot, and Re-install the new version.  I have been unable to simply install over top an existing version, nor have I been able to uninstall and avoid a reboot.

Oh and I should add that every update requires me to first uninstall SB, Reboot, and Re-install the new version.  I have been unable to simply install over top an existing version, nor have I been able to uninstall and avoid a reboot.

That's the problem.

When you boot without StableBit DrivePool installed the pool drive is not there and NFS can't find its shares.

We do support upgrading by simply installing over an existing version (except when upgrading from 1.X to 2.X). Can you elaborate as to why you can't upgrade by simply running the new installer? Is there an error that comes up? What do you see?

Thanks,

That's the problem.

When you boot without StableBit DrivePool not installed the pool drive is not there and NFS can't find its shares.

We do support upgrading by simply installing over an existing version (except when upgrading from 1.X to 2.X). Can you elaborate as to why you can't upgrade by simply running the new installer? Is there an error that comes up? What do you see?

Thanks,

I get this error when trying to install over.

02fe36324455355.jpg

That would be why, I think. Alex can/will confirm.

The MSI installers are meant mainly for managed installation scenarios (aka via GPO on a domain), and haven't been thoroughly tested yet. That's why they're not linked to on the front page.

We recommend using the EXE versions, as the installer is much more intelligent. it "knows" when to force and upgrade, and will download .NET Framework, if the system doesn't have it installed. It may do more than just those, but those two things are still pretty big (as you've experienced).

Thoroughly testing the MSI installers is on our to-do list, but for now, we recommend against using them (at least for DrivePool).

The .MSI installers are there for managed deployment scenarios. They shouldn't be used normally.

The .EXE is really a wrapper over the .MSI (using WiX Burn, which is used by Microsoft as well).