Server R2 2012 - storage keeps dwindling at a rapid pace but I'm not adding anything to make it so

andy_d

Question

4 answers to this question

I'm down 300gb even in the last two days even though I've added much lower than that.  If I delete files, do duplicated files get deleted automatically?

If you delete a file from the pool it should delete the duplicated copies as well. I believe this happens immediately.

Do you have shadow copies or file history turned on for the pool drive or the individual drives making up the pool?

Yeah looks like I have file history turned on.  Didn't realize that until last night.  Just disabled it since I don't need it.

Shadow copies is a different option?

File history was probably the cause. You can check shadow copies by right clicking a drive and choosing Configure Shadow Copies...

If you're using Server 2012R2 Essentials (and it sounds like you are)....

Then every hour or 12 (not sure), it takes a "snapshot" and copies the user files to the network path. Since disabling that stops this growth, that definitely sounds like what the issue was.

Also, File History is very much different from Shadow Copies. And in fact, we don't support Shadow Copies on the pool (there is no documentation on how to implement it on the file system level).