Question - DrivePool with Storage Spaces, Primocache and larger storage arrays

Nathan

Question

Morning,

Okay, I am running a home NAS and I looked into DrivePool probably a year or more ago. At the time it did not meet the needs for my specific use case and I ended up settling on TrueNAS which has been absolutely excellent for my situation up until recently.

The issue I have hit is I have a fairly large DAS array (20 drives) I want to setup as a JBOD for a very specific use case. TrueNAS is pretty much obsessive about redundancy and data protection and zfs will not support anything like that given the obvious risks. So I'm now looking an flipping my NAS box over to Windows Server 2019 and going to a combination of Windows Storage Spaces for rapid storage which needs to be fast and possibly DrivePool for the JBOD array which is not as sensitive to access speed. My entire network is on a combo of 40gbe and 10gbe.

My questions are:

1. Does DrivePool play well with Windows Storage Spaces?

2. Does DrivePool play well with PrimoCache?

3. Does DrivePool mix well with SAS Expanders, SAS drives and HBA's?

4. Assuming yes to the above is there anything I should be potentially be aware of before seriously considering this?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

1. I have added a Storage Spaces simple resiliancy pool to a DP Pool (but no data written on it yet)(so that I could consolidate left-overs from drives to store just one more Chia plot).

2. Donnow, never heard of it.

3. Yes. I use a Dell Perv H310 SAS2 card without issues and there are those here who use bigger HBA cards and/or SAS expanders.

4. I am a long time DP user. I made a Pool for Chia because DP makes it easy for me to manage drives. I see no reason not to take the 30-day trial if you still can.

2 hours ago, Umfriend said:

1. I have added a Storage Spaces simple resiliancy pool to a DP Pool (but no data written on it yet)(so that I could consolidate left-overs from drives to store just one more Chia plot).

2. Donnow, never heard of it.

3. Yes. I use a Dell Perv H310 SAS2 card without issues and there are those here who use bigger HBA cards and/or SAS expanders.

4. I am a long time DP user. I made a Pool for Chia because DP makes it easy for me to manage drives. I see no reason not to take the 30-day trial if you still can.

Lol, we have the same use case for Drivepool then.

PrimoCache can sort of emulate the L1/L2Arc caching you'd have in ZFS in Windows when its applied to a Storage Space disk group.

I want Drivepool to manage the JBOD external DAS while something else manages my more performance critical hardware (NAS HDD/SSD arrays). Likely Storage Spaces with PrimoCache using a dedicated NVMe.