Reconfiguring My Pool

PetabytesPlease

Question

I have a pool with some drives but i bought two new drives that i want to put at the beginning of the pool or to even start a new pool and then delete the old one once all the data has been migrated

I have had issues with my PCI sata cards so now i cannot connect all the drives at the same time and i discovered that i cannot evacuate drives if drives are missing from the pool so i can i accomplish this migration?

Also and perhaps firstly i want to put all the data that is on the first two drives of my current pool onto the two new drives of equal size, can i simply cut and paste the whole hidden folder within the drive containing 6TB of information which would be super easy though could that cause issues with consistency, data errors etc?

2 answers to this question

I'd recommend adding the new drives or creating a new pool with them, and then moving the contents inside each old poolpart to the new poolpart - minus any system folders - rather than attempting to moving the poolparts themselves. Trying the latter may result in Windows complaining about the hidden system folder ("System Volume Information") that Windows creates within the poolpart folder.

Alternatively, if you've got any spare USB ports, you could use USB drive dock(s) to help perform the migration? Preferably USB3, because USB2 would take a lot longer.

Especially, don't try to cut and paste poolpart folders on a machine that has DrivePool installed. I just tested that to see what would happen, and ended up having to delete and recreate the physical drive partitions to get DrivePool to recognise them again.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:45 PM, PetabytesPlease said:

can i simply cut and paste the whole hidden folder within the drive containing 6TB of information which would be super easy though could that cause issues with consistency, data errors etc?

I don't think DrivePool would like to see 2 hidden directories with the same directory names. If you took the HDDs offline, I think you could simply cut and paste the whole hidden folder within the drive containing 6TB of information, and then only connect the new drives back into DrivePool. IIRC, DrivePool only checks for the hidden PoolPart directories and does not care what the HDD serial number or name is. But you don't want 2 HDDs with the same hidden directory names.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:48 AM, Shane said:

I'd recommend adding the new drives or creating a new pool with them, and then moving the contents inside each old poolpart to the new poolpart - minus any system folders - rather than attempting to moving the poolparts themselves.

+1, that is how I would go about this transfer. Then I would "remove" the old drives using the remove command in DrivePool and let DrivePool clean itself up.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:48 AM, Shane said:

Especially, don't try to cut and paste poolpart folders on a machine that has DrivePool installed. I just tested that to see what would happen, and ended up having to delete and recreate the physical drive partitions to get DrivePool to recognise them again.

That has happened to me, too. So I have one computer without DrivePool on it and that is how I perform any and all "offline" tasks with DrivePool HDDs.