How to write files to specific disk

PizzaHut

Question

I'm very new about this software.

I have a 4 bay HDD case.

My wish is creat a drive pool and let other software write file to the 1st drive,  when the 1st drive is full then automatically use the 2nd one, then the 3rd....the 4th. 

When some disks are full I will replace them with empty disk.

But with default setting, It seems StableBit DrivePool just divide the file and each disk sotore some part of the files.

What should I set up ?

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Umfriend said:

Yes, by default DP distributes files over the drives (mind you, a single file is never split, always on a single drive). What you want is the Ordered File Placement Plugin. https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

Thank u sir. Is that means I can swap the full disk with empty disk, and other computer can read the file in the full disk directly?

I tired onece. instal the plugin and set up 2 disks as a pool. and fill them full. but I can't just remove the disk when the whole pool is full.

Well, you _can_ just physically remove a disk in a Pool, insert it into another PC and read it there. You may have to unhide hidden files as the files will be in a hidden PoolPart.* folder. Caveats apply, such as either shut down before removing or, if hot-swappable, at least go through "Safely remove hardware and eject media" although I am not sure DP would not have the drive locked. Just don't know.

However... The Pool itself will notice that a disk is missing and come to a read-only state. You would then have to remove that drive through the GUI. Having said this, it is not the typical use case DP was built for. And you are the 2nd in a short time to ask for something like this (https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/6043-possible-to-remove-drive-including-its-files-from-pool/). I am interested in the reasoning behind this.

2 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Well, you _can_ just physically remove a disk in a Pool, insert it into another PC and read it there. You may have to unhide hidden files as the files will be in a hidden PoolPart.* folder. Caveats apply, such as either shut down before removing or, if hot-swappable, at least go through "Safely remove hardware and eject media" although I am not sure DP would not have the drive locked. Just don't know.

However... The Pool itself will notice that a disk is missing and come to a read-only state. You would then have to remove that drive through the GUI. Having said this, it is not the typical use case DP was built for. And you are the 2nd in a short time to ask for something like this (https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/6043-possible-to-remove-drive-including-its-files-from-pool/). I am interested in the reasoning behind this.

May be because of the cryptocurrency called chia. 

I'm ask this question because of it. My computer can create 3 tb files per day and won't stop, if the software stop, the efficiency will go down. So I'm looking for somthing that can help me.

I guess other people  have  the same reason.

Yeah, I was suspecting that. I am plotting as well (but only on owned unused HDDs, using 2.5"laptop HDDs to plot and unused HDDs to farm).

So when you transfer a HDD to the farmer, you need to add that drive to the farmer. What I would suggest is a slightly different setup where you would have a landing disk on your plotter and then have a batch job transfer it to the farmer over the network, possibly a shared drive. On the farmer, I would actually run DP and simply add HDDs to a Pool as you need it and point the farmer to that Pool. IMHO easier to manage but then, I plot&farm on a single machine (as I don't buy HW for Chia). But 3tb/day maybe a bit much for the network, depending on the actual infrastructure.

Again, it is not what DP was designed for but I am pretty confident it can be done, just not on how to do it best.

41 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

Yeah, I was suspecting that. I am plotting as well (but only on owned unused HDDs, using 2.5"laptop HDDs to plot and unused HDDs to farm).

So when you transfer a HDD to the farmer, you need to add that drive to the farmer. What I would suggest is a slightly different setup where you would have a landing disk on your plotter and then have a batch job transfer it to the farmer over the network, possibly a shared drive. On the farmer, I would actually run DP and simply add HDDs to a Pool as you need it and point the farmer to that Pool. IMHO easier to manage but then, I plot&farm on a single machine (as I don't buy HW for Chia). But 3tb/day maybe a bit much for the network, depending on the actual infrastructure.

Again, it is not what DP was designed for but I am pretty confident it can be done, just not on how to do it best.

yes. you are right. may be buy a 2.5Gb network card and set pool int he farmer machine is also a good way, in this way I can use the DP default setting.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a truck loaded with tapes". Your plot here, yank&transfer to there method, I think, is conceptually the fastest but using DP for that (so that the plots can overflow to the next HDD when the first is full etc) maybe a bit risky. I think my method requires less management. Matter of preference I guess. And yeah, a 2.5Gb network might be a sensible idea.

It makes me wonder whether it would be possible connect two PCs over USB3.0 or higher. There are USB bridge cables. 5Gb/s or higher. A lot cheaper perhaps but length limited.