Archive old files into Clouddrive?

dsp

Question

I was wondering if there was a way to archive old files into a 3rd drive pool (cloud drive)? I am sure there is some way to do this but I am tired and cant think it through. Here is the setup I would like below. 

Files go into SSD Cache. 

From Cache, it goes into my local HDD Pool. (I have this part already setup) 

But then I want any old/stale files to then move into my cloud drive pool? I am not sure if the disk balancer goes from first in first out? I would like to have a local pool of files where only some of the files are pushed into the cloudpool and then stops. This way it keeps a large local cache that can be quickly accessed and just slowly pushes old files into the cloudpool. 

Sorry if this does not make sense. I can try to explain better if this doesnt. 

3 answers to this question

I think I may have come up with a config that will work. Anyone have thoughts on below? 

LocalPool -> Local drives

CloudPool -> Cloud drives

LargePool -> LocalPool + CloudPool 

I set LargePool to fill to LocalPool only. I don't think there is any way to balance just a certain subset of files. So I setup a scheduled task/job to just move "old" files from LocalPool to CloudPool. 

On LargePool, I will still be able to see all files but the recent files will be stored on my local drives only. I think this works? 

It seems good at first glance, though I'm not sure about the scheduled task part. How would you do that? Direct movement between the poolparts, or using File Placement to tell LargePool that any file the task moves to an 'Old' folder is to be balanced into the CloudPool half of the LargePool?

3 hours ago, Shane said:

It seems good at first glance, though I'm not sure about the scheduled task part. How would you do that? Direct movement between the poolparts, or using File Placement to tell LargePool that any file the task moves to an 'Old' folder is to be balanced into the CloudPool half of the LargePool?

Direct movement between the poolparts using a powershell script. The balancer seems to just balance the files randomly and I only want to slowly move files out of my LocalPool into my CloudPool.