Constant emails warning of impending disk death but all disks check out

Varroa

Question

Hi Guys, on and off over the last couple of months I have been getting sporadic emails from my server telling me that one of my disks is about to fail:

StableBit Scanner S.M.A.R.T. Failure on 'SERVER' One or more disks are expected to fail within 24 hours:

• WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 ATA Device

You are receiving this message because you have set up email notifications to be sent to this address from the StableBit Scanner.

When I go to the Stablebit scanner tab in my WHS2011 it doesn't show any warnings and all drives check out. I have even ran a full disk surface check in the past and the emails would go away for a time but now I am getting them even after a full surface check. SMART data shows all drives as being 100%. Any ideas?

8 answers to this question

Good to see you!

As for the intermittent SMART errors, could you update to the latest internal build?

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWhs2/beta/download/

(newest at bottom)

If the issue persists, could you set "Smart_NoWmi" to "True" via the following link:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Do this, and reboot the system. See if that fixes the issue.

I'm having this same issue - it's a new system with 4X WD Red 4Tb drives and took two days to finally scan all the drives, during that time I received constant S.M.A.R.T. failure emails but looking at Scanner all disks show as healthy. Now that the initial scan is complete, I still get these emails intermittently and there's nothing wrong with any of the drives according to Scanner. I'm running build 2.4.0.2928 on Win7 x64.

Not sure I really should be trying the beta version; what could be causing this?

I changed Smart_NoWMI to True and rebooted, no luck - just got two more emails. I now notice Stablebit showing one of the drives showing a "reallocated sectors count past manufacturer's tolerances" when I click on the drive details (all drives show Healthy in the main interface) which probably caused the last couple of emails. However, looking at the drive just a minute later has the details back to normal and tolerances are ok. So looks like it keeps going back and forth on some S.M.A.R.T. info on the drives that is generating these emails.

Catul,

That definitely sounds like an issue with the WMI SMART data. And if you did enable the option... well, sometimes, it doesn't "take" properly.

I've uploaded a config file that should work properly. Download it, remove the ".txt" from it, and put it into "C:\Program Files (x86)\StableBit\Scanner" 

Then restart the StableBit Scanner service.

Scanner.Service.exe.config.txt

Just to confirm, I saved it in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\StableBit\Scanner\Service" folder (not \Scanner) and renamed it to remove the .txt - there is an existing .config_default file already there which is where I'd made my initial noWMI change. In any case, after a reboot, I haven't yet received an email so hopefully this is fixed. Thanks!

Yes, definitely.

The "config_default" file is a template/sample file, and not used. You need to remove the _default from it to get it to work. 

But you should see "Scanner.Service.exe" and "Scanner.Service.exe.config" next to each other in the folder.

Once you do, restart the service (or computer) and it should fix the issue.