Transfer pool to another build?

thepregnantgod

Question

Drashna, you've answered this before but I want to be sure...

I have a pool with 22 drives fully duplicated.

I want to change the motherboard/cpu, etc.

1. Release license on drivepool/scanner

2. Build new system

3. Plug all the drives in and everything will be just as is?

4. Or, move all the main file directories out of the hidden poolparts, delete the poolparts, then reinstall Drivepool on new system.

5. If I do step 4, will Drivepool recognize that all my files are already duplicated?  Or should I remove duplication (which I don't want to do), then make a new pool and enable duplication?

If I'm missing steps or there's an easier way, let me know.

Much thanks.

7 answers to this question

Steps #1-3 are spot on.

But until you activate DrivePool, the pool will be Read-Only. 

Also, it will remeasure the pool, as it's essentially a new pool to the system, and will check the duplication status of the files as well. Once that's all done, you're all set.

No need to move folders around or anything.

#5 It should remember the duplication status, including the "pool file duplication" status as well.

#6 it will need to measure the pool first, and then it will "know" what is duplicated and what is not. It will then compare that to the file system and see if it is supposed to be duplicated or not.

Also, Drashna, remember, this is the pool that we can't figure why I can't rename it.  If I just plug this pool into another build - it'll have the same problem, no?

if the file system is damaged on one or more disks, then it may have the same issue.

if this is the case..... 

Move everything out of the "PoolPart" folders, delete these folders, readd the disks to the pool, and move the contents back in.