DrivePool OneDrive and cloud corruption?

Wigster

Question

Hi,

I've been running DrivePool on WS2012R2 for years, mostly without a hitch. 

As a somewhat unsupported hack, I have OneDrive installed in a location which is physically on a drive which also contains DrivePool files, but is not actually part of the DrivePool.

( So I have D:\OneDrive and the D drive is part of the DrivePool, which itself is assigned the Z letter)

Then, I point one folder in Onedrive (D:\OneDrive\Photos) using a link to the Z:\Photos folder of the server, which itself is in the pool.

A couple of times now I have realised that my photos on OneDrive (this happened for the first time only a few months ago) in the cloud are actually pointing to different files from different subfolders. They are not corrupt, just the file content is replaced with something from another file.

The actual files on my server in Z:\Photos and even those in the D\OneDrive\Photos are fine, it's just the cloud version that is corrupt and then that is downloaded to the other clients.

I'm guessing this in the end boils down to an unsupported way of running things, but how can I achieve this sort of setup in a way that's supported? I would like Photos themselves on the server to be duplicated in the DrivePool, but I also would like a copy in OneDrive for clients to access and easy sharing.

2 answers to this question

Drives being used as part of a pool can still be used for storing non-pool content; the part of the drive that's used by the pool is simply a hidden folder. So that should not be causing the problem.

(E.g. if you have a D: drive that's part of a Z: pool, you can totally create D:\MoreStuff and D:\OtherStuff folders and put content in them, they're just not part of the pool because they're not in the hidden D:\PoolPart.StringOfLettersAndNumbers folder.)

But how are you pointing D:\OneDrive\Photos to Z:\Photos? Because a quick search suggests that OneDrive doesn't support (or doesn't properly support) symbolic links, and I think I recall DrivePool does not either. So you might be "crossing the streams" here. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Wigster said:

I'm guessing this in the end boils down to an unsupported way of running things, but how can I achieve this sort of setup in a way that's supported? I would like Photos themselves on the server to be duplicated in the DrivePool, but I also would like a copy in OneDrive for clients to access and easy sharing.

Option 1: if you don't mind just tossing drive space at it, you could set up an automatic sync (one way or both ways) of Z:\Photos to D:\OneDrive\Photos by some means or another (e.g. Task Scheduler, robocopy, FreeFileSync, etc)?

Option 2: as #1, but mount your OneDrive storage as a network drive so that it's not taking up space on your hard drive(s).

StableBit DrivePool doesn't touch any files outside of the hidden "PoolPart.xxxxx" folder on each pooled drive.  So, using a folder that isn't on the pool, and is outside of that folder , you should be absolutely fine, and the files shouldn't be touched, at all. 

And this is absolutely supported. 

If the files are getting corrupted, then likely, it's something between the data on the drive, and OneDrive's web service.  If you have any antivirus software or disk utilities installed, it is possible that they're intercepting them and causing issues.  Additionally, if you're using a proxy or VPN service, it could be those that are modifying the data in transit.