Ordered File Placement priority setting in Balancers

gtaus

Question

I have decided to try the Ordered File Placement balancer plugin. I currently have 18 USB 3.0 HDDs in my pool, and want them to fill up in order such as DP01, DP02, DP03, etc... I will be changing the default option to "Control new file placement and move the existing files into the pre-defined order" instead of "Only control new file placement." I understand that this option may require more than one balancing pass to complete.

Question 1) Will this consolidate all files in folders that may currently be stored on 2 or more pool drives? For example, if I have a music album folder, currently the tracks in that folder may be spread across 2 or more pool drives. Will the Ordered File Placement plugin grab the entire folder and write all those files spread across the drives and move them into one drive?

Question 2) After installing the Ordered File Placement balancer plugin, it is currently sitting at the bottom (# 7) of my Balancers list. Where should it be placed in the list for best effect?

Current listing as follows:

1. SSD Optimizer

2. Stablebit Scanner

3. Volume Equalization

4. Drive Usage Limiter

5. Prevent Drive Overfill

6. Duplication Space Optimizer

7. Ordered File Placement

I am thinking it makes sense to move the (7. Ordered File Placement) just under (2. Stablebit Scanner) and bump everything else down. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

If you have set up the file placement to put a specific folder on a specific drive it should work. I wouldn't use the Ordered File Placement Plugin for this because it seems that this Plugin is for a general order priority for drives (will fill on drive after another with all the files are coming in). The file placement I marked should do what you want.

20210315_001.JPG

Heads up, if you're using the Ordered File Placement balancer with the File Placement rules. then you need to make the following changes on the "Einstellungen" tab. 

•     UNCHECK "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins."
  •     CHECK "Balancing plug-ins respect file placement rules."
  •     UNCHECK "Unless the drive is being emptied."

2 hours ago, Saphir said:

I wouldn't use the Ordered File Placement Plugin for this because it seems that this Plugin is for a general order priority for drives (will fill on drive after another with all the files are coming in).

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Heads up, if you're using the Ordered File Placement balancer with the File Placement rules. then you need to make the following changes on the "Einstellungen" tab..... 

Thanks to both for the responses. I am not using any File Placement rules. I only mentioned Album folders as an example to see if DrivePool would gather up all the files in a folder that might currently reside on two or more drives and place them on one drive in the re-balance. I am only looking for a general order priority for the drives, and not sending specific folders to specific drives.

As to Question 2) Any thoughts on where the Ordered File Placement plugin should be listed on the priority list? Again, thanks.