Drives need to be assigned a letter to be seen.

Brig

Question

Had a pool set up for a few tears with no issue, the drives were found and added to the pool with no letters assigned as I didn't want them to show in explorer.

I rarely reboot the PC but a couple of months ago I rebooted for some windows updates, my whole pool was missing and drives were absent. The only way I could get Drivepool to see them again was to assign letters to all the drives. Not ideal as they now all show in explorer.

Today I rebooted to install latest win 10 updates and tried removing a drive letter from one of my drives, again drive is missing from the pool until I assign a letter.

Anybody else ever experienced similar? 

(Edit. Completely forgot you could just assign drives to paths -_- , so at least that has cleaned up explorer)

Edited by Brig

3 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Brig said:

Yup. This is an issue we see from time to time, and it's a known issue with Windows (not our software). 

Specifically, the issue is that ... sometimes, windows will not mount a volume if it doesn't have a letter (or path) assigned to it. 

Fortunately, this is a dead simple fix:

https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_F3540

6 hours ago, Brig said:

Today I rebooted to install latest win 10 updates and tried removing a drive letter from one of my drives, again drive is missing from the pool until I assign a letter.

Fortunately, no. I have 18 USB drives and was very happy when I discovered that DrivePool did not require Drive Letters to work. I have auto update on Windows 10, so I imagine I have the latest updates. Everything is working fine here.

Although I do not use Drive Letter assignments, I have all my pool drives named. Since I am so clever, I named them DP01, DP02, DP03, etc... and they sit on a shelf in that order, too. I also labeled the drives with a small tag. Makes it easy for me to pull a drive if it has any problems.

I hope you find out what happened to your DrivePool and why you now need Drive Letters assigned. I'll be reading to see what develops. Hope you get a fix soon.