Help with Landing Zone please

Rod25

Question

I set up a pool with various HDD and also an SSD called Landing Zone all within the pool. The SSD I use as a shared drive into which I copy folders from a networked PC. I had assumed that Drivepool would then move the folders from the SSD and distribute to the Pool virtual drive but thats not happening. All the files are on the SSD and not being moved. In fact nothing at all is happening. Clearly Im doing something wrong but dont know what so any help appreciated please. I really dont understand the need for a Landing Zone disc at all.

3 answers to this question

On the main setting side of the balancer you can set if the balancer is starting at a specific time or if a certain amount of data has to be moved. I have set my SSD to 600 GB as example. If there is not the need to move 600 GB the data will stay on the SSD.

On 3/10/2021 at 3:43 AM, Rod25 said:

I set up a pool with various HDD and also an SSD called Landing Zone all within the pool. The SSD I use as a shared drive into which I copy folders from a networked PC. I had assumed that Drivepool would then move the folders from the SSD and distribute to the Pool virtual drive but thats not happening. All the files are on the SSD and not being moved. In fact nothing at all is happening. Clearly Im doing something wrong but dont know what so any help appreciated please. I really dont understand the need for a Landing Zone disc at all.

With DrivePool, you can use any drive, including your SSD, as both a system drive and a pool drive. When you say that your SSD is a shared drive into which you copy folders from a networked PC, are you saying that you are using your SSD as a system drive? If that is the case, then DrivePool would not automatically move files from the SSD into the DrivePool pool of drives.

In order to use your SSD as a "Landing Zone" for DrivePool, you need to add the SSD to your DrivePool. DrivePool will add the hidden PoolPart directory to the SSD and make the SSD part of the pool. Then you need to go into the DrivePool SSD Optimizer and designate your SSD drive as "SSD" and not "Archive." Note: you can designate any drive as "SSD" for purposes of using that drive as a "Landing Zone" or what I call a DrivePool write cache.

Once you have added your SSD to DrivePool, and designated it as "SSD" in the SSD Optimizer, then it should fall under your DrivePool directory - in my case, it's J:\ drive.

Then you copy files from your network to DrivePool (for example, J:\ drive) and the files should be first written to the SSD as your DrivePool write cache. Note: You do not copy the files directly to the SSD, which is possible, but instead you have to copy the files to DrivePool.

In the balancing settings, you can set the trigger point at which you want the SSD cache to flush out and write all the data to the DrivePool archive drives. In my case, I have a 224 GB SSD and I set the trigger point to flush at 100 GB. So, I can see my SSD start to fill up on transfers by watching the DrivePool GUI under the Disks panel. When the SSD reaches my trigger point at 100 GB, then it will start the flush, or Re-Balance, to the DrivePool archive drives.

When you get everything set up properly, the SSD write cache, or "Landing Zone" has the potential to really speed up your writes to DrivePool because the SSD is just so much faster than the typical archive HDDs used in the pool. But it also depends on your particular system and how you use DrivePool.