The Empty directories in the Pool

marquis6461

Question

Hope Chris is doing okay as I haven't been on in quite a while.    Question to look into.  Been a user of StableBit for a long long time.

Even prefer it over Windows 10 Storage spaces.

Recently a drive started giving problems.  Wasn't sure what to do.  it resided in a Probox 8 and preformed great for many years on win 7 pro.

When I changed over to Win 10 Pro, I noticed the count of directory entries on each of the Pool Partitions.

The Drive that was giving me problems had all of them too.  Most were empty due to the rolling scheme I had set up to ensure all drives would be good.  I use the all in one to rotate the drives always cleaning a drive so I can reformat it.  Check its condition and do some housekeeping on my system.

That's when I discovered the system was choking on the empty directories and had just stopped.

Used RED 2.2 on the Pools and the problem cleared up.  Just a heads up.  Running 2.2.5.1237.

Would like to try the Beta but I don't want to because of the shaky drive.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

On 3/5/2021 at 8:17 AM, marquis6461 said:

Hope Chris is doing okay as I haven't been on in quite a while.   

I've been just as active as ever in the support channel, but not as much as I would like to be on the forums. 

On 3/5/2021 at 8:17 AM, marquis6461 said:

That's when I discovered the system was choking on the empty directories and had just stopped.

If the directories are indeed empty, you can remove them manually.  That should help, I think.  But it may indicate a problem with the disk. 

Sorry Never got back.  I had the problem with the drives going missing because of the removal of the drive letter.

I used the workaround Chris mentioned with the Diskpart and I was sure that would fix the problem.  Unfortunately, I had the same problem.

One thing I did find worked great was the use of RED 2.2.  

Stablebit Drivepool is still the best program for JOBD service.