Is it possible to size limit a DrivePool pool/sub pool/or folder?

gtaus

Question

My backup plan has been to move files to HDDs that I store in my closet. Normally, that has worked. Unfortunately, the other day I was moving media files to a 3TB HDD backup drive and the backup drive's directory became corrupted and unreadable. Fortunately, I still have a copy of those files in DrivePool, but I will have to manually determine which exact files were lost on that specific backup drive. Pain in the butt, but it can be done given time.

I am now thinking that a better option for me would be to create a 3TB pool/sub pool/or folder in DrivePool that I could copy files to over time and then dump on a backup HDD when the pool space is full. After the files have been copied over and verified, I would delete them from DrivePool. Is it possible to exact size limit a pool/sub pool/or folder like that in DrivePool? If not, is there any third party software that can perform this same task? I know some other operating systems allow you to size limit a folder, but Windows does not have that feature itself that I am aware of. 

Any help appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Not that I'm aware of. A workaround might be to keep a record on the pool of the files that are on each backup drive?

1. backup the files

2. if all goes well, then do something like "dir backupdrive:\ /s /b > pooldrive:\backuplog\backupdriveserial.%date%%time%.log"

3. remove backup drive

17 hours ago, Shane said:

Not that I'm aware of. A workaround might be to keep a record on the pool of the files that are on each backup drive?

@Shane, thanks for response. I have searched the internet for a solution to setting a size limit to a Windows folder, but have yet to find anything that works. Some people have suggested that third party software exists to add this function, but nobody even offers a name of a product. So far my searching has come up empty. But thanks for the feedback on that issue.

Yes, I already catalog my drives so I know what was on the backup if the drive should fail. I can replace those files from the existing copies in DrivePool, but, like I said, that will take some time. I'm just trying to think of a better way to handle these backups in case I ever lose a backup drive again while in the process of moving files to it. Until I find a better solution, I guess I'll just make a folder in DrivePool to match the backup HDD. After all the files are successfully copied and verified, then I will delete that folder from DrivePool. It would have been nice to be able to size limit the folder to exactly the size limit of the backup HDD, but I'll just have to check on the folder size manually.

BTW, I contacted CineRAID, the maker of my USB Docking Station, and they suggested it might be a bad cable, or I might have to use a different USB connection on the computer. Unfortunately, there is no way to test either suggestion other than just replacing the cable and/or moving the docking station to a different USB connection and hoping for the best. What's worse for me is that this problem has only come up 3X in the last 4 months, so it might be one of those random events that you can never quite isolate as to the core problem. It did, however, expose a shortcoming in my backup plan and I need to rethink my steps in that process.

Follow up: I moved my CineRaid USB Docking Station to a USB 2.0 port instead of a USB 3.0 port, changed the TeraCopy default from asynchronistic mode to OFF, and checked the default copy/move command to verify. Since then, I have had no further problems. I suspect the main benefit was moving the USB Docking Station to USB 2.0 and just slowing down everything. But that is just a guess. At any rate, I no longer have the problems I was complaining about in this post. 

On 5/31/2021 at 1:04 AM, gtaus said:

Follow up: I moved my CineRaid USB Docking Station to a USB 2.0 port instead of a USB 3.0 port, changed the TeraCopy default from asynchronistic mode to OFF, and checked the default copy/move command to verify. Since then, I have had no further problems. I suspect the main benefit was moving the USB Docking Station to USB 2.0 and just slowing down everything. But that is just a guess. At any rate, I no longer have the problems I was complaining about in this post. 

Although I like Teracopy at many issues but in your case I Duplicati or Gs Richcopy 360 are more helpful , both have options to slow or fast the speed /rate