Can't copy some files ??? No reason why.

Zammo

Question

I use Teracopy and have just installed DrivePool. I have created 3 disks in a pool. There is 7TB of space free in the pool. For some odd reason I keep getting errors copying files across to it (from a non-drivepool drive), in Teracopy the error shows up as "Error writing file @96468992" (this error number changes by the way depending on file). But some files copy across. I deal mainly in large Blu-Ray sized files if this matters. There is plenty of space left on all 3 drives. 

I tried with other copying software (CopyHandler) just in case Teracopy was at fault and got another similar error when trying to copy files to my DrivePool drive which says "Invalid access to memory location". On one file it got about 100MB in to a 20GB file before giving the error. Another got 30mb in to a 20gb file. Others didn't even start to copy. Really frustrating. 

Any ideas what may be happening ? I looked in the DrivePool log file but can't see anything. Why would some files copy across okay but not others ? As I say, I have checked and there is more then enough room on all 3 drives in the pool so it can't be giving an error due to disk space. 

The only add-on I am using is "Ordered file placement", the rest are de-ticked. 

EDIT : Hmmm, I disabled "asynchronous file transfer" in Teracopy and it seems to be copying the files now, I was just clutching at straws trying everything and that seems to have helped. But if this is to blame why did some files copy across okay earlier with it enabled ??? I am just worried whether to trust the copies are okay or not. 

6 answers to this question

In simple terms, some of the methods used by copiers to improve performance push the edge of what is safe. To use a driving analogy, the issue with taking shortcuts via back roads is that sometimes you hit loose gravel during a turn or the map doesn't match the terrain. Great when it works, bad when it doesn't.

It might be worth running a memory diagnostic on your computer, though, just in case.

@ZammoHere is a little info I copied from the internet on file transfers:

Benefits and Drawbacks

Asynchronous transfers are generally faster than synchronous transfers. This is because they do not take up time prior to the transfer to coordinate their efforts. However, because of this, more errors tend to occur in asynchronous transfers as opposed to synchronous transfers. If many errors occur, it can negate the time saved by eliminating the initial step of setting transfer parameters, because the receiver will have to take measures to correct its errors.

I use TeraCopy all the time and have not noticed the "Error writing file" problem you have reported. However, if I am copying or moving files to my backup disks, I do check the TeraCopy verify box to ensure that the file was written without errors. 

I was not aware that TeraCopy defaults to using asynchronous transfers. I suppose they want to be as fast as possible. But I don't find the TeraCopy file transfers to be any faster than using Windows File Manger on my system. Where I see the advantage in using TeraCopy is that it will skip over problem files in the queue and continue the task until finished, then report the errors, if any, at the end. You don't have to babysit TeraCopy all night on those large file transfers. Compare that to Windows File Manger which stops at any problem and will not continue until you acknowledge the error box. You have to babysit File Manger until the entire task is done. 

I also use .par2 files for verification and repair on many of my media folders. Especially for my backups. Using .par2 files has helped me in a number of situations where I have had disk failures and have lost confidence that the files remaining were still in good shape. I don't use pool duplication for most of my DrivePool home media server, so the .par2 files quickly tell me if my files are still intact. I have my program create .par2 files at 10% of folder size, which is usually enough to repair maybe 2 tracks on any album if the files were damaged or lost. That is less that 100% of folder size at 2X duplication and saves me storage space. I have not used .par2 files on blu-ray files, which can be very large, but I would think the verify process of .par2 files would be very handy. That way you would be able to know if you can trust the copies or not. Even better, the .par2 files might be able to repair the damage if there was a slight problem with the file transfer. 

There are a number of free .par2 programs on the internet. I use MultiPar for creating my .par2 files because it works inside the explorer window when you right-click for options. Like you, I want to know that I can trust my files.

Thanks. Well the odd thing is the error would tend to happen on the larger files, as I deal in blu-ray ISOs these are often 10gb+ files, although it would give an error within 100mb or so of those files. Lots of the smaller files copied okay. I didn't even realise having Asynchronous ticked could cause issues, but I was clutching at straws so tried every setting and deticking that one seemed to make it work okay.

Yes, I only use Teracopy too for the extra options like queuing and unattended service as I tend to copy large things overnight when asleep. 

I use Multipar for my usenet downloads, I have not used it outside of usenet though so that is interesting to know. I tend to use WinMerge to compare folders after a copy but Par2 might be a good solution too for me. 

Well, it may be worth testing on the latest beta versions, as there are some changes that may effect this, due to driver changes. 

If you're already on the beta or the beta doesn't help, please open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact so we can see if we can help fix this issue. 

Thanks Christopher. I really like your software, I purchased 2 copies the other day of DrivePool for both my computers. Regarding the beta, do I just install as normal, will it effect my pool or settings ??? At the moment I have the normal final version installed I think (2.2.5).