Can't get Scanner running on Win 8.1....

montejw360

Question

New install on win 8.1.  I keep getting this error:

Could not load type "System.Collections.Generic.|Emunerarle "1" from assembly

"mscorlib. Version=4.0.0.0. Culture=neutral.

PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089".

this is retyped from a printed screenshot, might be some typo's.

I have a license key, but can't even get to the point of entering it.

monte

post-1547-0-96293900-1397850037_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

That looks like a data base issue, and is unusual. If it happens again, let us know.

Also, feel free to PM me a dropbox/box.com/google drive link with the contents of the "C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\Service\ErrorReports" folder.

drashna,

never used dropbox, will have to figure that out.

will try the support page again when i can, just started temp working nights, circadian rhythm is messed right now.

Good to know that a Refresh worked.

The problem was technically with .NET, and unfortunately on Windows 8+, .NET is part of the OS and you can't Repair it. If the same issue occurred on Windows 7 you would simply run the .NET installer in repair mode. But because .NET is integrated into the OS on Windows 8, you have to repair the whole OS.

On the a.net issue.  In some cases if you go into programs features/windows components if you deselect the .net items apply that reboot and then re apply the check box to dot net it can trigger a reinstall of some of the .net items

Yeah, that's the problem with Windows 8.1's .NET implementation, it's not entirely clear what exactly it reinstalls. Based on my research it doesn't look like it reinstalls .NET 4.0 / 4.5, which is what the StableBit Scanner uses and the only way to get that repaired is with a refresh.

On the a.net issue.  In some cases if you go into programs features/windows components if you deselect the .net items apply that reboot and then re apply the check box to dot net it can trigger a reinstall of some of the .net items

Do you mean "Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off"?  Just looked at it, there's a ".NET Framework 3.5...." and a ".NET 4.5 Framework...." on my computer.  Windows 8.1.

That works for .NET Framework 3.X (legacy), but does not work for .NET Framework 4.X. If you notice, it says ".NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services" in the Windows Features section. 

For Windows 8, the only way to repair the .NET Framework 4.X reliably is to do a refresh of the system, or to re-install. It's a huge "oversight" by Microsoft, and one that is deemed necessary by the Metro apps (Modern UI apps, sorry). These rely on .NET 4.X.