Access Pool after USB Stick boot?

FrankP

Question

I wonder how I can boot with Win PE via an USB boot stick, then still have access to the pool.

Reason: My backup solution allows boot from USB stick in case of main OS drive crash. Would be wonderful to store the backup files into a Drivepool pool - but after booting from stick, only the individual single HDD appear, but not the combined pool - so incremental backup files are spread over several HDD and will not combine (need to be on same drive to combine).

Any hint, I guess I need to add drivers to the Win PE build?

Thx, Frank

2 answers to this question

On 2/12/2021 at 2:48 AM, Shane said:

I imagine you'd need at least the Cove file system drivers, yes. I don't know what else you'd need. Perhaps you could request a PE build (something like how the trial becomes read-only after expiring) via the Stablebit contact form?

/cries

It's certainly possible, but a PITA to do so.  Especially with how the drivers for drivePool work. 

Though, I know that StableBit Scanner works in Windows PE.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:01 PM, FrankP said:

Reason: My backup solution allows boot from USB stick in case of main OS drive crash. Would be wonderful to store the backup files into a Drivepool pool - but after booting from stick, only the individual single HDD appear, but not the combined pool - so incremental backup files are spread over several HDD and will not combine (need to be on same drive to combine).

You'd need to add drives, and the service, at the very least.  And networking support for activation. 

But otherwise, all of the files are accessible in the hidden PoolPart folders.