ิbuilding new server in 2021 needs an advice

sicboy

Question

hello.  newbie  here

first now i only use drivepool on Windows 10 and it's work ok 

i mainly use to store games and movies 

so everytime i want to watch movie from Shield TV i have to turn on my PC with drivepool on it.

now i want to change all my pool to new hardware  (i have 5 x 10TB) 

then i can turn drivepool on 24/7 for in home streaming 

any suggestion for CPU, M/B, Ram, PSU , OS? and such 

only spec i choose now is the case , the case is fractal design node 804 (can store up to 8 drive)

thank you 

sorry for my english

4 answers to this question

Hi Newbie! ;D,

DP needs very little, I had it running on an Intel Celeron G530 and could stream 1080p to at least one device. So a cheap build with, say, a Ryzen 3 3200G, 8GB of RAM, a decent 350W PSU and W10 would work like a charm as a file/stream server. The things you'd probably look for are SATA connectors (cheap boards often have only 4). Although you could get a cheap SAS card (IBM 1015 or somesuch, used.) which would provide plenty of expandability. The other thing is the network connection. 1Gb Ethernet, I think, should be "enough for anybody".

It is a bit of a bad time as CPUs are in high demand relative to production capacity. Was a time, which will come again, when you could have a satsfactory CPU for like US$60.

Edit and PS: Your English is fine. Just use capitals to start and periods to end a sentence and it'll be great.

2 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Hi Newbie! ;D,

DP needs very little, I had it running on an Intel Celeron G530 and could stream 1080p to at least one device. So a cheap build with, say, a Ryzen 3 3200G, 8GB of RAM, a decent 350W PSU and W10 would work like a charm as a file/stream server. The things you'd probably look for are SATA connectors (cheap boards often have only 4). Although you could get a cheap SAS card (IBM 1015 or somesuch, used.) which would provide plenty of expandability. The other thing is the network connection. 1Gb Ethernet, I think, should be "enough for anybody".

It is a bit of a bad time as CPUs are in high demand relative to production capacity. Was a time, which will come again, when you could have a satsfactory CPU for like US$60.

Edit and PS: Your English is fine. Just use capitals to start and periods to end a sentence and it'll be great.

Thanks. it's help me alots.

But only one thing . i don't understand 

It's about SAS card. Already looks up on youtube but still doesn't know how SAS card work. 

For my understand , you'll need SATA ports for HDD. if i have 5 HDDS then i need 5 SATA Ports.

But when i see SAS card there is only 2 SAS Port. So how do i connect all my 5 HDDS to SAS Card 

Please clarify me . Because i such a noobs.. :( 

Thanks a lots

No worries, it was new to me too (and I still don't know that much about it). So a cheap SAS card, like the IBM 1015 (and there are many that are called differently but are the same. I have a Dell Perc H310 SAS controller which, I am pretty sure, is the exact same card.).

Anyway, the cheaper SAS-card have two ports indeed. However, those are SAS ports. There are cables that allow you to connect up to four SATA drives to just one SAS port. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Internal-SFF-8087-Breakout/dp/B012BPLYJC.  If you look at the picture you see one weird connector, that's a SFF-8087, which splits into 4 SATA. Take two of these and you get 8 SATA connectors.

A few things to be aware of:

1. You want these SAS cards to have a BIOS for IT or HBA mode, not RAID. It is something you can do youself if you get a 2nd hand card in RAID mode. I found a guy who flashed it for me before shipping.
  2. Whatever card you get, check whether it is indeed using a SFF-8087 connector. No worries if it does not, it just means you need another type of breakout cables.
  3. In my case, the breakout cables included power delivery. That was a pain because the cables became less flexible than I wanted. The picture above is more to my liking, just data cables. Power to the drives seperately
  4. Which of course means you need a way to power 8, 12 or 14 HDDs... There are splitters for this as well. I think you do want to share the load a bit on the various cables that come out of the PSU
  5. Finally, these SAS cards are typically meant for servers that have plenty of airflow. The chip can run hot and most likeley only has a heatsink. You can attach a, I think, 40mm fan to it using philips screws that attach between ribs of the heatsink.

A small 40mm fan works wonders in desktop builds or "calmed down" rack chassis'. Brought my Dell H200 and LSI 9211-8i cards from being too hot to touch down to barely noticable heat. Just connect it to any random case fan pinout. The model on the picture is a Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX 40mm. I'm also a RC hobbyist, so finding small screws that fit ... anything .. is never a huge problem...

image.png.1597fc181de58da1a5a0602b31cfca62.png