Explorer Not responding and keeps closing, sign of drive failing?

denywinarto

Question

1 answer to this question

@denywinarto, When I have problems with my computer, the first option I try is a cold reboot. That alone sometimes clears up lots of problems with Windows.

As to the possible failing HDD, do you have any Hard Disk monitoring software installed? Sometimes that can detect problems with a failing drive. I use Hard Disk Sentinel to monitor my HDDs, and so far have been happy with it. They offer both a free version for just monitoring drives and a paid version with extra features to run diagnostics and fix some problems with drives. 

I would also suggest a complete virus scan and maybe a malware scan on your system if the drive(s) checks out OK.  

Don't know exactly what you mean by DrivePool is also pending update. I had my DrivePool set for automatic "check for new versions" but it never worked for me. I also tried the "Force update check now" but that was unsuccessful. Finally, I just downloaded the file from the website and manually updated my DrivePool. The manual update went fine and I had no problems.

If you find that your drive is failing, and you have data on it, I suggest trying to manually move data off the drive as best you can before running anything like Chkdsk on your drive to correct problems. I recently had a failing HDD and Hard Disk Sentinel warned me about it. So I attempted to remove it using the DrivePool GUI. It got maybe 3% removed and then errored out. There were some corrupt files on the HDD and it would error out when it hit one. The DrivePool GUI error message suggested I use Chkdsk to correct the corrupt/unreadable directory error it was getting. So I ran Chkdsk, with repair, and it wiped out my entire HDD and all directories. That was a mistake. 

The next time I had a failing drive with corrupt files, I got smarter and transferred almost all the files off the drive using TeraCopy to move the files. If Windows File Manager hits a corrupt file, it stops everything and waits for you to respond to the error box. TeraCopy, on the other hand, will see the corrupt file, but then will automatically jump over it to the next file(s) on the list and run until finished. At the end of the process, you get a report from TeraCopy of the failed files that were corrupt and it could not move. On my 4TB HDD, I had only a handful of files that were corrupted and everything was able to be saved, but those files were enough to shut down both DrivePool's remove task and Windows File Manger. TeraCopy was able to run all night without me babysitting the process and the next morning the drive had all good files moved off of it.

From my experience, once you have determined your HDD is starting to fail, you are up against the clock on removing data as fast as you can. With one recent HDD, I got almost 3 days before it completely died. My most recent failing HDD lasted about 12 hours from my first warning until it completely died. And, of course, I have had HDD that just completely died without any warning. At least with DrivePool I have my more important folders set for 2X duplication and all my files are backed up on HDDs stored in my closet.

Good luck on troubleshooting your system. Hope you update the thread when you find and fix the problem.