Drivepool Balancing Stuck

DanW

Question

I added a new drive at 8pm on Friday (~39 hours ago) and Drivepool is still balancing.

Original Drives: Two 4TB 7200 NAS drive

Both drives were almost full ~270 MB free space left on each drive

New 8TB 7200 NAS drive formatted and added to pool

Initially, the balancing went very quickly. One of the 4TB drives quickly went to 2TB free space as files were moved from it to the new 8TB drive. However, for at least the last 30 hours, the balancing progress has barely moved at around 49% complete one the other 4TB drive still only has ~270 MB free space on it. The balancing appears to be stuck. What should I do at this point?

Thanks,

Dan

2 answers to this question

If you hover the mouse curse over the Pool Organization bar, does it show a tooltip indicating what is currently doing? E.g. moving files or building bucket lists?

(and yes, sometimes when it decides to build bucket lists it can take AGES to finish and get back to moving files; you can either let it do its thing, try fiddling with the balancing settings and restarting the balancing, or move the files yourself manually)

Thanks for the reply! Well, after sitting at ~49% for 30+ hours, it appears to be doing something. I rebooted the computer and went to bed and now it is at 81%. Don't know if rebooting did anything, but glad it is moving now. When I hover over it, it says "Moving Files...". Don't know what it said before, maybe the list building since it did not appear that any files were being moved.