Making a RAID5 with DrivePool and SnapRAID?

riahc3

Question

Im using currently a 3TB x 4 RAID5 setup. I want to change over to a DrivePool but I believe Ill miss the RAID5. Just in case, how easy is it to make a pool with DrivePool and integrate it into a RAID5 using SnapRAID (free product)?

Thank you

1 answer to this question

...with snapraid you can add a parity drive (or even multiple ones), but it is not the same as with an online-RAID setup as snapraid only offers offline parity.

Also I wouldn't call that an integration of both technologies..they are co-existing and each one will work fine on its own, knowing nothing but little about the other part.

To do that, you would use the real, physical disks to be incorporated into drivepool and at the same time into the snapraid setup.

You *could* run snapraid against the Pool-disk, IF your parity disk is large enough (at least the size of the pool), but normally you wouldn't as your pool is most likely (to grow) too large for a single disk.

There is a thread here somewhere about that topic and where a snapraid config has been published that seems appropriate for coexisting with drivepool.