"Directory name is Invalid" when removing a drive.

glugglug

Question

I have 6 drives in the pool.  4 of them are the 4TB drives I started the pool with, 2 are 8TB.  I'd like to remove some of the 4TB drives to save power and make my case cabling less crazy.  Since WMC is no longer supported I no longer need them for a huge ultra-DVR.

Attempting to remove the first drive progresses about 5% and then fails with "The directory name is invalid" as the error detail.

How can I tell what directory it's talking about?

9 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, glugglug said:

I have 6 drives in the pool.  4 of them are the 4TB drives I started the pool with, 2 are 8TB.  I'd like to remove some of the 4TB drives to save power and make my case cabling less crazy.  Since WMC is no longer supported I no longer need them for a huge ultra-DVR.

Attempting to remove the first drive progresses about 5% and then fails with "The directory name is invalid" as the error detail.

How can I tell what directory it's talking about?

I am currently having similar issues with removing drives from DrivePool related to corrupt files and/or directory issues. DrivePool is erroring out on the removal of the drive and stops. If DrivePool tells you to run chcdsk on the drive, I would suggest you DO NOT follow that suggestion. I ran chkdsk on a failing HDD last week and chkdsk corrupted the whole directory and I lost access to all data on that drive.

At present, I am vacating another problem drive manually using TeraCopy. TeraCopy is better than Windows File Manager because when it hits a corrupt file, TeraCopy will skip over that bad file and continue to move all the other files. MS File Manager, when it hits the first problem file, will stop everything and not continue to run the task until you clear the error box. In other words, you have to babysit Windows File Manager through the whole process whereas TeraCopy will complete the task and then give you an error report of the problem files. With high capacity TB drives, my current file transfer estimated time was about ~12 hours. With TeraCopy, I can just let TeraCopy run overnight knowing that it will complete the task and give me an error report on the corrupt files it could not move the next morning.

TeraCopy has an option to filter the files to those that it has skipped, or failed. In my currently running transfer, I filtered the report output to show my failed file transfers and it lists the complete file directory path of the bad file and the description of the error along with an error code. That should give you some idea of the bad directory you are looking for. Good luck.

20 minutes ago, Shane said:

Is the directory named in the service log that's accessible in the DrivePool GUI via the Cog icon -> Troubleshooting -> Service log... ?

Just a path to the hidden drivepool directory, not the invalidly named directory:

3:16:29.9: Warning: 0 : [RemoveDriveFromPool] Error removing \\?\Volume{0fadb6f7-f888-4ab8-96e8-014ab151376d}\PoolPart.7dab998f-6fa3-4e30-9f8f-08743d552127\ from the pool. The directory name is invalid

If it helps, copies of recent service logs are kept in the DrivePool programdata folder, normally "C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\Logs\Service\".

(though I expect they would only be at whatever logging level was set at the time)

The directory it's failing on seems to be 

E:\Users\glugglug\AppData\Local\Temp\{29828f33-4679-462a-8c98-1c3507678922}\.ba1\BootstrapperCore.dll.

which is an empty directory from 2015.

Attempting to delete the directory gives the same error, which I think is something I've seen before when deleting large numbers of files, a few appear to be there after the bulk delete, and trying to delete them again gives that error, they are really gone after a reboot..

Sounds like this is a file system corruption issue, which may not be a surprise for you. 

Running CHKDSK may fix the issue, but it may not. 

Worst case is the "dpcmd ignore-poolpart",  this will immediately eject the drive from the pool and mark it as removed. The disk will show up as "missing" in the UI, and will need to be removed from there, as well. But this should be instant.    Also, none of the data on the drive will be moved, so you'll need to manually recover the data from the "poolpart" folder. 

This seems to work to evacuate the drive, sans the empty directories including the one the remove fails on.

Disallow it for duplicated and unduplicated files in the Drive Usage Limiter and rebalance.

image.thumb.png.98c565218eebe38ae14ea56f31b02eda.png

All that appears to be on the drive now is a folder hierarchy of 4820 folders with no files in any of the leaf folders.

Attempting to remove the drive gives the same failure even with "Force damaged drive removal" and "Duplicate files later" checked.