Microsoft Storage Space Drives not detecting

KlausTheFish

I have two Western Digital drives that i am able to view in the WD Dashboard that are in a RAID using Storage Space. StableBit Scanner only detects them as one drive labeled with the name "Microsoft Storage Space Device" instead of separate drives. I am able to pull the SMART check via WD Dashboad and not the StableBit Scanner.

Please add this functionality.

I ran Windows Storage Spaces for ~7 years before I moved to DrivePool. IIRC, Windows locks out all access to the pool drives in Storage Spaces, and as you stated, the best you get is one large drive displayed with most programs. At that time, I don't think I was able to get any disk monitoring programs to work with my Storage Spaces pool of drives.

If StableBit Scanner does not work well with Storage Spaces, you might want to download the free version of Hard Disk Sentinel to see if that program can detect the individual drives in the Storage Spaces pool. I know Hard Disk Sentinel detects all my pool drives in DrivePool and none of them have drive letters assigned. But, that may not be the same as Storage Spaces which takes total control over the drives because of the packet writing feature of Storage Spaces. It's worth a try and won't cost you anything but a little bit of time to see if it works. Good luck.

On 1/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, KlausTheFish said:

I have two Western Digital drives that i am able to view in the WD Dashboard that are in a RAID using Storage Space. StableBit Scanner only detects them as one drive labeled with the name "Microsoft Storage Space Device" instead of separate drives. I am able to pull the SMART check via WD Dashboad and not the StableBit Scanner.

Please add this functionality.

It can't be added. The "RAID" setup presents the resulting drive to the OS as a volume - it has no SMART data. The individual disks may well be accessible as hardware devices, but they do not present as accessible volumes/drives. WD Dashboard works because it is specifically designed to access the relevant hardware at a low level. Each manufacturer does this a little differently, so it's probably not feasible to add to Scanner, which works on a software level.

This is a topic that comes up from time to time.  

Yes, it is possible to display the SMART data from the underlying  drives in Storage Spaces.  

However, displaying those drives in a meaningful way in the UI, and maintaining the surface and file system scans at the same time is NOT simple.  At best, it will require a drastic change, if not outright rewrite of the UI.  And that's not a small undertaking. 

So, can we? Yes.  But do we have the resources to do so? not as much (we are a very small company)