Drivepool loses drives.

Lawrence Guillot

Question

Maybe due to an update with Win 10 Pro.  Drivepool no longer can find my drives unless they are assigned a drive letter.  Although this is not a problem with system with a little number of drives but at one time I had  made partitions 1 for the solid data and 1 for the backup on the same drive.

I changed my program but this may need to be looked into.

My scheme was this. I made 27 partitions 1 for the letters of the alphabet and 1 for Numbers.

My system worked great for many years using Win 7 Pro and I only moved to Win 10 Pro several months back.

4 answers to this question

Windows 10 pro

Version 2004

Build 1904.685

Window Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.5510

Was going to try to recreate the incident but I am leary as I have a LOT of info on the drives and I got all the partitions back and seem to be solid.

Will check to see if it is only Drive related some time this week.  I.e.  Identify only 1 partition on the drive to see if it comes in.

On 12/31/2020 at 9:32 AM, Lawrence Guillot said:

Maybe due to an update with Win 10 Pro.  Drivepool no longer can find my drives unless they are assigned a drive letter.  Although this is not a problem with system with a little number of drives but at one time I had  made partitions 1 for the solid data and 1 for the backup on the same drive.

FWIW, I have the same Windows 10 and update version you reported. I have 17 HDDs and 1 SSD in my DrivePool. None of them have Drive Letters and everything is working fine on my DrivePool system. IIRC, DrivePool does not even use Drive Letters, so I don't understand why turning on the Drive Letters makes any difference.

I did not move my DrivePool from another OS. My DrivePool was initially created in Windows 10 and has always been on the same computer. Now that you are running DrivePool on a Windows 10 machine, have you considered just rebuilding your pool from the ground up in Win10? I know I really like not having to use Drive Letters for my 18 pool drives.

While there is a difference between pools created under old versions (prior to v1.3 released in 2013) of DrivePool and pools created with newer versions - the former emulate MBR disks while the latter emulate GPT disks - there should not be any difference between a pool created under Windows 7 and a pool created under Windows 10 (caveat: the NTFS security pemissions of their content might be slightly different, but the pool structure itself should be the same).

gtaus is however correct that DrivePool does not require the drives in a pool to have letters (this was added way back in version 1.0.0.1584), as it instead uses the volume identifiers (along with the poolpart folder names) to assemble each pool. Given that your pool worked once you added drive letters (thus enabling DrivePool to see the poolpart folders), if I were to hazard a wild guess then something has somehow messed with (accessing?) the volume IDs?

If you have a spare drive handy, could you check if creating an additional, new, pool works if the drive added to the new pool doesn't have a letter?