Calculating...

Valdimarsson

Question

Hi, I'm new to this forum and the whole Stablebit community. I've been a happy owner of DrivePool and Scanner for about a month now and just bought the whole shabang.

I've also bought a new hdd which I wanted to add to the pool which already has 2 hdd's in it.

I'm using MCM (Media Center Master) to manage my media collection. It's generating a lot of files, xml, jpg, tbn etc.

I'm aware of, that when you have a lot of small files it takes a lot of time to copy all the files and that's understandable. My problem relies on the calculating yellow loading thingy in the bottom of DrivePoolUI. It has been calculating for 5 maybe more days (heck I can't even remember when it started ;-) and I can't se where it's going or how much there's left of the copying (duplication).

The biggest problem with all of this is that I can't add my new hdd. Everytime i push the Add+ button, the DrivePoolUI freezes and I'm most certaion it's because of the calculation. I'm running low on disk space and it still duplicating all of it. Soon there'll not be any disk space left to copy to.

Anyone else out there who have that exact problem? (don't know if it's a "problem" because of all the small files, around 127.000).

Are there any tweak to make DrivePoolUI take up all the CPU power and just be done with it?

Bonus info:

2 days ago I ripped my girlfriends tv show; charmed. When MCM was done with the files, there's 966 files. When I look at the file performance and logs, it's still copying and finding new files to copy even today. If I have to wait 2-3 days for a 1000 files to be duplicated there's no reason why I should duplicate because if the drives fails between duplcation i'll just loose my hard work anyways.

The attached image is 2 days ago and it consumed a lot more disk space.

Hope someone can help or atleast explain to me how this hole thing works.

Best regards

Valdimarsson

post-168-0-55567700-1371715496_thumb.png

10 answers to this question

Finally

I rebooted for the 30th time and it's finally showing % of balancing and all the little nifty markers. Lovely.

Now I just have to wait and hopefully I can add the new hdd :D

I would still like to know if it's possible to boost DrivePool balancing and/or DrivePool overall?

Well, first of all, there is a more up to date version of DrivePool available, and I'd recommend updating to it. (there are some important fixes for the Windows 8 kernel)

The first "calculation" can take a while, especially with a lot of small files. 

As for "boosting", I assume you mean the process priority. Before you try that, check out the Balancing options (the arrow in the bottom right section of the pie chart), you can change when it balances. I recommend setting it to "Immediate", and "not more than ever 1 hour, as well as check the "Allow balancing plugins to force balancing immediately).

And if you still have issues with the UI and adding disks, definitely update. And if that doesn't help, do this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Error_Reports

and submit the ErrorReports folder to http://stablebit.com/Contact and we will take a look at them and see if we can figure out what is going on.

Cool. I had the DrivePool v 2.0.0.260 and now I've upgraded to the latest 266. Shouldn't it check for new versions itself? The check for new versions is checked in the Settings.

After it showed me how much it missed balancing I tried to add the hdd and it suceeded and now it's just finishing up with the rest of the file mingling.

My balancing options is set as follows:

Balance immediately with no tick in the "not more than every..."

and a tick in the allow balancing plug-ins.

Balance plugins:

Stablebit scanner

Duplication space optimizer

Ordered file placement

Volume equalization

Hope I'm set :P  It's probably just me being too impatient, bought a new hdd and couldn't add it. :D

Thanks for the quick support. Appreciate it.

The "check for update" version is controlled on our end. 

The newer updates haven't really been pushed due to a number of issues (mostly caused by Windows 8, actually). If you're not having issues, we would rather keep you on a more stable version than roll out a version that has issues.  Even though v2 is a beta... we do care about trying to release a product that is as stable as possible and as free of issues/bugs as possible.

And all those settings look good. But yes, balancing and duplication can take a while, depending.

But not being able to add a new HDD is definitely a big deal. I mean, how do you expand your storage to obscene capacities otherwise! :P 

And happy to help (and promptly too) :)

That's one cheap motherfucker :lol: I had a Synology NAS but it was too small and one of my hdd's collapsed and i didn't had it raided nor mirrored and that's why I headed in this direction. Right now I'm between things. Trying to save up for a build in rackmount/server (into closet). Right now I use my stationary and it works like a charm, but consumes a LOT of power :wacko: so it isn't a durable solution.

Oh yeah. The update 2.0.0.312 fixed my calculating... problem period. After some time it started calculating again and has been since June 22nd. I thought I would wait it out because my tv series collection had gone up rapidly for the last month and with all the files, nfo's, xml's etc. no wonder why it calculated. That's what I thought.

Haven't really looked back at the drivepool UI since then but it was still calculating today and thought of upgrading. Now it's moving files like never before.

It's been a long time since I was this happy :-D THANKS