Pool drive without service working

Sergey Klepov

Question

I wonder how DrivePool works? I notices that if I turn off all services, disable them and restart - my pool is still there and all files are accessible. So what for services are and what is drawback of having them turned off? 

As I understand, there is some new fs CoveFS and there drivers in system which allow all that magic with showing all drives as single drive to work, so services are there just for auto-balance and statistics measurements, right?

Thnx

3 answers to this question

Very basically there's three layers; at the device layer you have the CoveFS drivers that present each pool as a virtual NTFS drive to the system, at the service layer you have the DrivePool services that handle balancing, diagnostics, placement, repairs, triggers, scheduling, shutdown, etc, and at the user layer you have the GUI that lets you configure and manually operate the service layer.

Yes, that's basically correct. Personally I'd recommend leaving the service turned on even if you have duplication and balancers all turned off, so that it can continue to handle basic diagnostics/maintenance/notifications (e.g. "hey one of your disks just went missing, the pool is now read-only until that gets resolved"), but it's up to you.