Duplication Inconsistent and nothing happens

Glauco

Question

So, I've finally installed my DrivePool, copied everything to it, deleted my RAID10 and added all the drives to my pool. After that, I set a folder to be duplicated 3x. It started re-balancing and duplicating my files, but now, DP is stopped (nothing is happening) and it shows on the  Duplication Organization bar (which is yellow with the progress bar in the middle) the message Duplication Inconsistence. I've tried to re-balance and re-check duplication, but still nothing.

As a reminder, my scenario was:

I had a RAID10 with 4 discs and 5.6TB of data. I installed two new 4TB drives to my system and created a pool with them, so I had 7.5TB of free spaces. I then copied all my RAID10 files to my pool, without duplicating because I wasn't going to have enough space. After copying all the files and balancing was over, I deleted my RAID10, added all four drives to my pool and set a folder to be duplicated. It started duplicating and re-balacing, but it seems it didn't finish. I've attached a printscreen of my DP.

BTW, DP shows 247GB of duplicated data, but the folder that should be duplicated has much more data than that.

Thanks.

Screenshot_4.jpg

7 answers to this question

So, after a while, I think everything is going on correctly. Is it possible to know what DP is doing? It seems it's duplicating my files. I just wanted to know if it's really happening, and maybe a progress bar or something where I can see when it's going to finish.

Another question. Is there a reason why my write speed is so slow? If you look at Disk Performance, it's writing at 15kb/s. Is it normal?

Thanks

Screenshot_5.jpg

The new screenshot looks much healthier!

If DrivePool is performing a duplication pass you will get a progress indicator (the Pool Organization bar will turn yellow and animated, and "Pool Organization" will instead say "Duplicating... (nn.n%)" where nn.n is the percentage so far.

If it is unable to complete duplication, the bar will be fixed at halfway and remain yellow, with a warning. Otherwise if it is successful it will return to the normal full green bar.

For the "slow" read speeds in Disk Performance, DrivePool can have trouble measuring the actual speeds for the transfer of very small files and/or for directory scans. For example, I see those kinds of numbers whenever my backup software is scanning the files on my pool for new/updated files. It's just an artefact of the measuring algorithm.

I would not worry about it unless you are getting similar numbers when reading/copying large files.

Thank you Shane, once again.

Good to know everything is going ok.

Now, I think it seems to be still duplicationg my files. Those files that show up under Disk Performance are my files I want to be duplicated, and I see them poping up there. But on the progress bar where it reads Pool Organization, I don't see any percentage. As a matter of fact, it was showing before. It was around 10% completion, but I had to hot unplug my SSD. When I did that, DP detected there was a drive missing, and stopped duplicating. When I plugged it back, it took a while, but instead of going back to the yellow bar with the Duplicating... (nn.n%) message, it showed the green bar. As it was taking forever to duplicate my files (more then 5TB to be copied 3x), I suspect it is still duplicating them, but DP doesn't show the progress percentage. Am I missing something or there is anything I should do?

Thanks!

The files that show up in Disk Performance are files that are being accessed by something other than DrivePool. I.e. Windows or your other programs.

If DrivePool is running a duplication pass, it WILL show "Duplicating..." with the percentage indicator and the animated yellow bar. If it is interrupted it may not automatically resume duplicating, but if a file is subqsequently accessed that should be (but isn't) duplicated it will schedule a duplication check of the entire pool.

You can manually start a duplication check for all pools via the GUI using ⚙(Cog)->Troubleshooting->Recheck duplication...

Oh, I get it! So, those files I'm seeing being accessed are those that are being backed up by CrashPlan! Makes sense! Thank you again and sorry for all the questions. I guess everything is OK now.

I'll star a duplication check to make sure everything is duplicated. 

Regards and happy new year!