Moving files from HDD to Pool folder

TerryMundy

Question

I added a hard drive with data to my pool.  What would happen if I move files from folders not in the pool folder into the pool folder?  Would this be considered an illegal move according the DrivePool?  My thought here is doing so moves data much faster because the move is thought of as moving data between folders on the same drive.

Should I not do this?  I know the other way is slower but I don't want to corrupt DrivePool or cause in unnecessary problems.

Terry

3 answers to this question

You can move data directly into a poolpart folder, so long as you're careful not to create conflicts (e.g. having the same path and name) with existing files in any poolpart folder. Afterwards you'll also want to tell DrivePool to Re-measure (under Manage Pool) and - if you're using duplication - to Recheck duplication (under Cog:Troubleshooting) for the pool.

I'd suggest moving a test file in and out of a test folder while looking at how it appears in the pool so you can see how it works.

I just wanted to add that if you have a folder compare utility, you could eliminate duplicates before your transfer of files. I use a free file manager program called FreeCommander. There is a tool in FreeCommander to sync folders, and part of that program allows you to delete duplicates. Once you have eliminated all possible duplicates, you could just transfer the data on your new DrivePool drive into the hidden PoolPart directory of that same drive - saving you potential massive amounts of time on a large drive. I did that when I initially added 5TB HDDs full of movies to my DrivePool. Worked great for me.

Thanks Shane and gtaus!

I'm testing it with a few files and folders to begin with then will Re-measure the pool.  If all is well I'll rinse and repeat.

Hopefully in a few days the usage bar will be totally blue for all of my drives.

My next project will be learning how to use (QTY 4) 256GB NVME's pooled as a cache for my Primary Pool and set up syncing with my Secondary Pool.  I'll be able to sleep once all of our data is backed up to Google, Dropbox, and Backblaze.

I hope to be as familiar with Stable Bit products enough to assist and answer others' questions.  This is the best software I've ever used at home.  Wish it was around 15 years and all of the hardware I have now I had then.  I'd not have spent thousands of dollars on servers and pay and extra $150 per month on electricity.

Terry