Hard Drives Wont Sleep - Always Running Hot

stuza

Question

Product: StableBit DrivePool
Version: 2.2.4.1162

I've an issue where no matter how many fans and maxing out the speed  setting on the fans the hard drives are getting to over 40c.  I've set the windows sleep timer for all the disks in Advanced Power to sleep in 1 minute but, this isn't happening and I believe this is due to DrivePool somehow making the OS think the disks are in use when they are in fact idle.  I'm currently running 8x8tb pool and also a 4*12tb pool and both pools have exactly the same problem.

Do you think this is a possibility?  If so, any tips on how I might be able to let the disks sleep when not being used by anything other than the DrivePool service?

6 answers to this question

I wouldn't set the sleep to 1 minute. That will kill the drive. Best to set it idle for like 20 minutes because if there's any drive side maintenance being done, it will shut down after 1 minute, wake, shut down, wake, shut down.

Also, are you using stablebit scanner? Does scanner happen to be running at the moment? I would check task manager to see if drives are active. 

I'd be concerned with cooling in your system. What case are you using? I was running eight 12TB in my case at idle about 35-37C with slight fan movement. At load never exceeded 42C.

9 hours ago, HTWingNut said:

I wouldn't set the sleep to 1 minute. That will kill the drive. Best to set it idle for like 20 minutes because if there's any drive side maintenance being done, it will shut down after 1 minute, wake, shut down, wake, shut down.

Also, are you using stablebit scanner? Does scanner happen to be running at the moment? I would check task manager to see if drives are active. 

I'd be concerned with cooling in your system. What case are you using? I was running eight 12TB in my case at idle about 35-37C with slight fan movement. At load never exceeded 42C.

Hi WingNut,

sorry for slow response, was working with Support to test a few things.

I totally agree that 1 minute is excessive but, it was really just to help me test quicker. 

The testing completed I can now conclude that this is very unlikely an issue with DrivePool.  I disabled the CloveCube device in device mangler and the pool drive went offline.  I also stopped both DrivePool services.  The drives still did not sleep.  So this tells me it's very unlikely to be DrivePool related.

Anyway, here is an excerpt from my response to Christopher in the support team:

Interestingly, I did come across a similar post on reddit and a guy responded who said he worked in one the big data farm suppliers.  He said that drives should NOT sleep as in his experience if they shutdown/startup even just a *couple of times a day* then they found this significantly increased the risk of them not starting up.  He  said that they have found, in particular for NAS drives, that they should just be left running 100% when the system was on.

Given the above, which is far more experience than I have, I think i'm better off leaving them online.  I'm not sure what more I can do with the cooling - i've got 3x120mm fans at max speed on them - but they are maxing at 39c and Seagate RECOMMENDED max is 40 with a total max of 60c.  I'm sure it's not helping their lifespan but...

Anyway, thank you again for your time and assistance, as always with you guys, it's very helpful!

Just to add a little clarity.  Of the 8 drives in the case three of the drives *were* maxing out around 42 to 44c but since then I added the third fan AND spaced them out a little more so this is why those three are now maxing out at 39c.  The other 5 in the case are maxing out at 32-35 so the CPU case disks I think are now OK.

The external enclosure Oyen Mobius Pro 5C simply can't handle the heat from these disks so, I've gone old school and stuck a USB powered fan in front of it with the door open.  This brings the disks in this right down to 32c (Oyen - I hope you see this!!! VERY POOR!).  This is only used once a week as an external mirror sync backup so this is an acceptable work around.  And actually as the desk fan is USB powered the  Mobius enclosure does indeed power the fan from it's outbound USB port. :)

18 minutes ago, gtaus said:

Interesting thread. I think I'll just leave my drives on. Seems the risk of a drive failure from stopping/starting exceeds the cost of electricity saved.

Just be careful to monitor the heat, specially if they are bunched together.