Recycle Bin Corrupted on Pool Drive

GreenApple

Question

Hello,

I am receiving a Recycle Bin Corrupted error for my DrivePool and I recently had the same issue on a few individual drives in an external enclosure. When I replied "Yes" to allow Windows to correct the errors on the external drives which were in a MediaSonic enclosure, it effectively deleted all of the files and I was not able to recover.

Since this happened a few days ago, I am reluctant to allow Windows to repair the DrivePool Recycle Bin and I replied "No" for the moment. I am reaching out to this audience for any advice on this issue. The computer has been operating essentially "untouched" for many years and was originally a Windows 7 machine but has been on Windows 10 since at least 2016. Today, I performed a clean install of Windows 10 pro 64bit 20H2 and followed the instructions from Drashna in the wiki Q5510455 to set the permissions. Since this was a clean install, all permissions were set correctly by Microsoft and I simply applied them to the child files and folders. I received two warnings when applying security settings to the child components that may be related. There are no errors recorded in Computer Management log other than a DistributedCOM warning. I attached screen captures of all errors and warnings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated to avoid any data loss.

Thanks,

Permissions Error 1.PNG

Permissions Error 2.PNG

DrivePool Recycle Bin Corrupted error.PNG

5 answers to this question

This is just a guess but....  the recycle bin is 'special'.  It's not a real folder, it's a virtual folder.  Ever noticed that the recycle bin is the one place in Windows where you can have two or more files with the same name in what looks like the same directory?  I suspect DP may be getting confused by files having the same name.

Or I may just be wrong :-)

Hello Rob, I would like to know what the Microsoft automated repair might do to the system and perhaps view the contents of the recycle bin before I allow the repair to continue. I had emptied the recycle bin a few days ago so it would normally be empty.

I'm hesitant to proceed in this case because the last time I allowed Windows to automatically repair the corrupted recycle bin it deleted files on three drives. I must say that it happened very fast and then the drives were corrupt. Windows then forced a chkdsk at reboot but nothing could be recovered.

Hello,

There are some instructions from Drashna in this forum post from 2016 and I wanted to if I need to to turn off the Recycle Bin in the GUI before executing the administrator commands.

From what is stated in the post, the command is only necessary to remove the Recycle Bin directory on the Pool drive letter and not the individual drives in the Pool.

I would also like to know if I should perform any actions provided from Drashna regarding the takedown command in may case.

I suspect my other warnings are "normal" and are not a concern.

For my DrivePool, I don't believe there are any items in the Recycle Bin and I'm only concerned about the other Pool files. Thanks for any advice you may provide.

Drashna's instructions on how to delete the recycle bin's folders in the pool remain correct. You can leave the bin on in the GUI. The security errors you received regarding the System Volume Information folder are normal and can be ignored; that folder has its own special security settings.