Drivepool duplication with cloudrive drivepool

Dust-Mite

Question

I currently have 2 storage servers with drivepool running on both, with cloudrive connecting the servers.

This is set up as a drivepool on one server shared over the network which cloud drive on the other server grabs, this cloud drive is then added into the drivepool on the main server with its drives.

However I dont have any file duplication and this is what I would like to change.

If I just turn on file duplication on the main server this will duplicate over the local drives and the cloud drive, however this does not protect against a drive failure on the remote server.

If I turn on file duplication on the remote server as well then this is going to use more storage for each file then I am willing to accept at the moment.

Could I have a sub pool on the main server which includes just the local drives which has file duplication on. Also having file duplication on the remote server.  With a high level pool linking the cloud drive and the local drivepool which does not have file duplication?

2 answers to this question

Yes, DrivePool allows you to use pools as disks for other pools.

For example if you had physical disks A, B, C, D you could create a pool E from disks A and B, a pool F from disk C, and then a pool G from disk D and pools E and F. Note however that any given disk or pool can only be directly part of one bigger pool at a time (so you can't "add" disk A directly to both F and G).

Keep in mind that exactly like physical disks added to a pool, pools used as disks don't share their own contents with the new pool, only their free space (with the new pool being a hidden folder in the file system of the contributing pool/disk). So any content you place in the example pool G would not see any content you placed (outside of its hidden folder) into disk D or pools E or F.

For a more specific and relevant example, say you had drives A, B and C on one computer and drives D, E and F on a second computer. You could create a pool G of the first computer's disks, a pool H of the second computer's disks, and a cloud I formed from G and H. Then you'd be able to move your files into the cloud I while independently controlling duplication on each of the two computers by adjusting G or H appropriately.

13 hours ago, Shane said:

For a more specific and relevant example, say you had drives A, B and C on one computer and drives D, E and F on a second computer. You could create a pool G of the first computer's disks, a pool H of the second computer's disks, and a cloud I formed from G and H. Then you'd be able to move your files into the cloud I while independently controlling duplication on each of the two computers by adjusting G or H appropriately.

This is exactly what I was hoping to get confirmed, thank you