Slow write speed on new computer?

ezelkow1

Question

I had been using drivepool fine on my previous build which was an intel based machine. Its read/write speeds to all the drives in my storage box were acceptable for being usb3.0.  However I recently did a new build, amd this time. The pool got recognized correctly and works on the new build, however write speeds  are much lower, and also lower than another external drive I have as just a backup drive (this one is usb3.0 and a 5400rpm drive as well where my storage box is all 7200rpm drives).

On this new build the pool will read at the usual full speed ~150mb/s, however write speeds hover around 48-50mb/s, much lower than the almost symmetrical I get on my other drive that is not part of the pool. I have gone through and set the performance mode, disabling quick removal, and enable write caching as well on all the drives in the pool

Just seeing if anyone else has seen this? Any ideas as to what might be happening? Ive probed it with various usb utils and it appears that my storage box itself is running at usb3.0 fine, its just these low write speeds I cant account for

7 answers to this question

Also to add to this. If I assign a drive letter directly to one of the drives in my pool and then attempt writes to that drive, they also run at full speed, ~180mb/s

So it really seems to me its pointing to something with the drivepool driver/software cause this write slowness

20 minutes ago, Shane said:

Any difference in the version of DrivePool used between the old build and the new build?

I was fully updated on my last build but to double check today I also tried reverting to an older build I had stashed on a backup and it showed the same issue.  I opened a ticket today and submitted logs

11 hours ago, ezelkow1 said:

Just seeing if anyone else has seen this? Any ideas as to what might be happening? Ive probed it with various usb utils and it appears that my storage box itself is running at usb3.0 fine, its just these low write speeds I cant account for

When I first installed DrivePool and was testing it out, I did not see any difference in write speeds with DrivePool or directly to other connected USB HDDs. I have not tested it recently for any changes.

I recently added a SSD on the frontend of my DrivePool and now the transfer speeds are lightning fast to/from the SSD/DrivePool. I have my SSD Optimizer to hold 100GB of data on the SSD before it re-balances. If I am transferring more than 100GB of data, I can see when the data stops being sent to the SSD cache and starts to directly write to the slower USB HDDs. Most of the time, the SSD Optimizer re-balances the cache in the background and I don't even notice it in real life. DrivePool is great, and it is even better with a SSD on the frontend if you need faster write speeds.

Im good with just the write speed of my normal hdd's, since all the ones I have can top out at like 180-190mb/s, I just need them to be able to keep up with gigabit downloads which they can do easily. But when they have their write speed cut down to 1/3 then it becomes noticeable, especially when it seems tied to drivepool and not the hardware/OS/anything else since I can get their full write speeds just by assigning a drive a letter to them directly

And did some more debugging today, got it narrowed down to a single drive in my pool (which is the largest and so with balancing apparently it had become the default for a while).  That one drive was showing the slow writes while all the other drives would not.  It then dawned on me that I had probably not actually done a cold reboot of my drive enclosure since doing this new build, only swapped the connection.

Did a cold reboot on it after the machine had come up, and now it appears to be at full speed on all drives. So something either with the enclosure, or the enclosure<->new machine being confused? who knows. Either way, derp, dont forget to check the simple things :)