Is the 20 threads a global lock or per drive?

steffenmand

Question

Hi,

Im currently using a 32 core system (64 threads) but i simply cant see Stablebit using more than 20 threads maximum at any given time, eventhough i have 10 drives split over 5 different users.

Are the limits for a drive (20 threads) also the global max ? - If so is it possible to get it changed to 20 threads PER USER as each user has its own API limits?

If its not limited globally, what could the issue be when threads start to be few if multiple drives are in use at the same time ? - i use NVMe drives and they are not reaching their peaks at all.

In the end i would love to see 16 threads on one drive and 14 on another.

Instead im seeing 3-4 threads on 1 drive, 2 on another and then maybe 4 on a third. (read + write combined)

4 answers to this question

On 11/10/2020 at 3:08 AM, Shane said:

20 is the global limit default for the CoveFs_AsyncNormalThreads setting. You may find the information at https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings useful, if you're willing to proceed at your own risk.

Are you sure this is also an option when using CloudDrive alone?

Wanted to try and edit my settings, but for some reason its empty now :D - Did they change something in recent versions casusing the Settings.json to be empty (0 bytes)?

Whoops. You mentioned NVMe drives and my brain skipped tracks. ^_^

CloudDrive's advanced settings are described here: https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings

IoManager_ReadThreads and IoManager_WriteThreads caught my eye, but I haven't delved into the advanced settings so unfortunately I can't help further. Is it also possible a limit might be enforced at the cloud provider's end ("unless overridden by the provider")?

22 hours ago, Shane said:

Whoops. You mentioned NVMe drives and my brain skipped tracks. ^_^

CloudDrive's advanced settings are described here: https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings

IoManager_ReadThreads and IoManager_WriteThreads caught my eye, but I haven't delved into the advanced settings so unfortunately I can't help further. Is it also possible a limit might be enforced at the cloud provider's end ("unless overridden by the provider")?

Yea i know those settings and none of those changes the global limit :(

So i think the global thread settings are either hidden or hardcoded into the code - although i dont get the reason as the limit should be per account and not across all your drives