Suddenly can't rename pool?

thepregnantgod

Question

14 answers to this question

Is this happening for the whole pool? Or just the "root directory"? 

Also, could you enable tracing (click the "Gear" icon >> Troubleshooting >> enable file system logging) and then duplicate this? (aka rename the pool drive). Then do steps #5-7 from the following link?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Drashna,

I enabled file system logging on DrivePool.

I went to Disk Management and selected the properties of my Pool (D:) and attempted to rename it to HTPC Data (70TB)

Nothing happened.

I went to the Program Data directory and zipped up the Service Sub folder.

I then emailed it to you via the form box on the log collection page.

Hope that works.

Well, a quick look at the logs seems to indicate an issue with one of the disks. That could definitely cause the change to fail.

Specifically, it's "\\?\Volume{4b27d72a-c8a7-447f-a6e8-246252e0c8a4}". you can see which disk this is by running "cmd /k mountvol". This will list all the disks and the volume ID. Find the one in question, and that is the disk it's referring to.

Also, you mentioned something about file system error in another thread. It is entirely possible that this is connected (hey, didn't I just say that).

Additionally, you can use this volume path ("\\?\Volume{4b27d72a-c8a7-447f-a6e8-246252e0c8a4}") to run chkdsk, actually. Use the full string instead of C: (or whatever letter) and it will scan that volume. Same goes with any other volume. And as I said, you can use the "mountvol" command to list all the available volumes.

I've also flagged the logs for Alex, just in case (https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/2160)

StableBit Scanner will check the file system as part of its scan. To force it, click the "+" on the disks and "mark as unchecked" (under file system, should be a button with a green circle and yellow arrow).

As for creating a new pool..... no. we only support any disk being part of ONE pool.

Though, if you wish to completely recreate the Pool:

• Stop the "StableBit DrivePool Service".
  • Move the contents of the "PoolPart.xxx" folder into the root of each drive
  • Delete the new empty PoolPart folders on all of the disks.
    Once the last disk has it's pool part folder deleted, the pool should disappear (if it doesn't, reboot)
  • Start the service back up. 
  • Add the disks to a new pool.
  • Move the contents back into the new PoolPart.xxxx folder.
  • Remeasure the pool

Drashna, again, thanks for the quick responses on these boards.

Seems like a lot of work for the work around.  I'm thinking I might swap out motherboards and just rebuild everything (so I would have to do what you're saying eventually).

Do you guys transfer licenses for scanner/pool?  I know they are hardware locked and swapping mobo will likely trigger a reactivate.

You're very welcome. I usually check the forums right after checking tickets. So that's every day. For the most part.

And yes, absolutely too much work. You should see how bad it was with WHSv1's Drive Extender. That ... was horrible. Every time. Above is simple by comparison.

But you don't need to do this to move the pool to a new system. Just move the disks. Well, normally.

And yes, absolutely. The license isn't "locked" to the hardware, at least not permanently. You can deactivate the licenses yourself. This disassociates the license from the hardware, allowing you to activate it on a new system. Or you can contact us via the support link (https://stablebit.com/Contact) and we can reset it from our end.

I've done this.... more than a few times before starting to work for CoveCube. I have a bad habit of breaking things. Is why HyperV is important to me now. Lets me tinker without breaking anything important. :P

Okay, Alex has taken a close look at the logs, and .... I'll just copy and paste the response here: 

The disk is dying, no doubt.

File recovery seems to be attempting to recover, but the dying disk needs to be removed.

CRC error means disk head cannot reliably read data from platter. Might be misaligned or platter surface degraded / damaged.

To identify the disk I suggest looking at the System event log it should record CRC errors. SMART data will should also reveal the failing disk instantly from the Scanner.

Another CRC error here, with this one we can see which disk it's coming from:
DrivePool.Service.exe Warning 0 [FileMover] Error moving '\\?\Volume{5433356b-2838-4a55-a9d4-7606b9a27f50}\PoolPart.617784fe-50f0-4c4a-87db-cdaec1ea6fb9\redacted' to '\\?\Volume{91edd3da-831c-40a8-9386-a78222cb269c}\PoolPart.8c375a2c-db30-49be-9bea-9dbcffc4c44d\redacted'. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) 2014-04-09 04:34:40Z 16732998237

Drashna, Alex, thank you for looking into this.

Two problems...

1. Volume ending in ...27f50 doesn't exist on my system (at all).  I've added a letter to each separate drive then used the cmd /k mountvol command to verify.

2. I have Scanner installed and have it do a full scan every 10 days - each drive is marked healthy, no smart errors, anything.  Wouldn't CRC errors/failing platters, etc. show up?

3. I've attempted to rename the pool again via Disk Management, properties on my pooled drive mount (D) - and still no go.

1. ..... I don't even know what to say to that. Other than maybe I grabbed the wrong logs? But I'm certain I didn't. 
  2. That depends on how the drive is failing. If it's failing mechanicially, then yes, it should.
  3. Okay, could you open a ticket for this then. It will make it easier to track for us, I think.

Drashna, Alex, thank you for looking into this.

Two problems...

1. Volume ending in ...27f50 doesn't exist on my system (at all).  I've added a letter to each separate drive then used the cmd /k mountvol command to verify.

2. I have Scanner installed and have it do a full scan every 10 days - each drive is marked healthy, no smart errors, anything.  Wouldn't CRC errors/failing platters, etc. show up?

3. I've attempted to rename the pool again via Disk Management, properties on my pooled drive mount (D) - and still no go.

1. That's odd, it was in the logs that I saw.
  2. Yes, absolutely. A CRC error should show up in the SMART data instantly and a surface scan will pick it up as well.
  3. We store the volume name in an alternate data stream on the pool's root directory. So it's likely that the issue has something to do with that.

Can you capture a file trace log of the rename operation like this:

• Under Settings -> Troubleshooting enable File system logging.
  • Perform the rename operation that results in the error.
  • Then uncheck File system logging.

This will capture a file system log of the error that I can look at to get a better idea of where the error is coming from.

The trace files will be saved to: C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\Logs\CoveFs

Just ZIP those up and upload them here: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Let me know once you have that uploaded and I'll take a look.

Thanks,