Windows 10 questions

dsteinschneider

Question

Two years ago I tried running DrivePool on Windows 10. Everything seemed ok during the install but I had problems where Windows 7 mediacenter computers had problems opening the movie files.

I wasn't sure if the problem was caused by the pair of MediaSonic ProBoxes connected with the Asmedia 106x SATA controller or ethernet driver issues. I just put the Windows 7 OS SSD I put aside back in and continued until now with Win7.

I've now upgraded all the mediacenter computers to Windows 10 with Chameleon Media Center. Does anyone have a Drive Pool machine with a pair of ProBoxes/Asmedia 106 running fine in Windows 10?

Thanks,

3 answers to this question

On 11/3/2020 at 5:11 PM, dsteinschneider said:

I've now upgraded all the mediacenter computers to Windows 10 with Chameleon Media Center. Does anyone have a Drive Pool machine with a pair of ProBoxes/Asmedia 106 running fine in Windows 10?

I had a Windows Mediacenter setup for a number of years and it worked great for me. Instead of upgrading the software for new broadcast standards, MS just dumped the concept all together. 

I do have 2 MediaSonic ProBoxes running on my old HP desktop/server running Windows 10 Pro and they work just fine in USB 3.0 mode. Having said that, I got both my 4 bay ProBoxes for $50 each on sale. I see the same ProBox costs over $100 each now. That's equivalent to $25 per HDD just to house the HDD. For that money, you could probably get some nice external USB 3.0 HDDs and a hub for a lot cheaper. Which is what I did and now have my two original 4-bay ProBoxes (8 HDDs) plugged directly into the computer and another 8 external USB 3.0 HDDs plugged into a hub. DrivePool handles everything just great.

Hello,

I have been using DrivePool for many years on Windows 10 Pro and I use a MediaSonic Pro box but only for backup or temporary storage, not for the DrivePool. I have an ASMedia USB 3.0 controller and an eSATA part to connect the MediaSonic. I haven't really touched the system for four years and decided to begin some maintenance this week and possibly add the MediaSonic drives to the pool. I have two older machines with the Intel Z77 chipset and very little software other than DrivePool and a media server. I was at the point of checking the drives but when I moved the four drives in the enclosure from one machine using USB 3 to the other machine using eSATA, Windows reported at least two of the drives as corrupt and attempted to fix the drives with the end result of losing data on one of the drives. I don't know how the drive was corrupted, but Windows somehow renamed the drive and deleted the files. I'm still troubleshooting this issue.

My plan remains to continue using Windows 10 and StableBit but keep the pool to internal drives only. I am using Windows 10 64bit pro 20H2 on one server with DrivePool and the same but 20H1 on the backup machine. I have received some Virtual Drive Service errors on the 20H2 machine today and I'm not certain if they are related.

As long as DrivePool keeps up with Windows 10 revisions, I hope to keep using DrivePool (or block Windows 10 updates).

The two machines with the Intel Z77 chipset have very little software other than DrivePool and a media server. Because these machines have been migrated from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10, I may take the plunge and rebuild Windows 10 from scratch this weekend (I have to check the DrivePool instructions but I believe that I just remove the pool before installing the OS and then plug in the pool drives).

This is a long post with some potential caution on the enclosures.