Thinking of upgrading hardware - have some questions

dsteinschneider

Question

I've got a Dell Vostro 420 running fine as storage for our media computers. Movies load right up and all is well except that sometimes to restart the computer I have to press F12 and manually choose the boot drive which is a 4 year old Kingston SSD Now V300 120GB. Scanner reports no issues with the drive. I took it out and scanned it for viruses with several scanners. I used Kingston's drive software which reported it healthy. 

I cloned the drive and the clone, an out of the box Evo 860 behaved exactly the same way. So I guess it's something corrupt in the Windows 7 OS.

I mentioning this first on the off chance someone has a suggestion - once the computer is booted it runs fine for months on end with no errors. 

This is prompting me to consider a new machine. Is there a Drive Pool migration tool?

Thanks, 

3 answers to this question

On migration, you already answered yourself correctly in another thread. On the F12 thing, I wonder whether it isn't BIOS related. Others have had this issue but I've not found it attributed to a corrupt OS install. You could also try to repair the W7 Install if you really think it is broken.

If the PC's CMOS battery is flat (usually a CR2032 button cell, roughly the size and shape of a small coin) and the PC's power is interrupted, then the PC will lose any custom BIOS settings - such as knowing to boot from a drive other than whatever is the original BIOS default.