Drives dropped...then readded to Pool...repeatedly.

thepregnantgod

Question

What's the cause of this?  Is there something I'm doing on the hardware end to limit this?

My setup:

Supermicro SAS2LP-MV8 cards (x3) connected to:

15 3TB green drives

7 4TB green drives

If there's something I can do, let me know.  This happened a few days ago and one drive completely crapped out.  I'd rather not have that happen again.

6 answers to this question

Hi I have had a similar problem in the past and it was due to a faulty connector (molex were the worst with pins getting pushed out of the connectors) and it was crashing the card the drives where connected to and resulted in me losing 2drives also check how many drives you have connected to each output lead on the power supply it could be they are two many drives connected to 1 feed. A failing or underpowered psu can also cause the same faults.

Lee - I suspect what you say is happening.  I have ordered a 1000 watt powersupply to deal with the issue.  I have lost two drives already.  Pain in the arse.

In your opinion, how many green drives can be connected to one molex/sata connector coming out of the PSU? (mine have 3 different connectors on one cord coming from the PSU which I then have branched out to manage all 24 drives).

Hi

If you are using splitter cables off 1 rail to power 24 drives your in risk of shorting out all your drives under heavy load most new power supply's provide 4 rails 2 sata 2 molex which then can be used to spread to load across the psu.

what your doing is like using 4 6 way power adapters from 1 wall socket and wondering why your tv goes of when you turn the washing machine on.

if your current psu only has 1 molex/sata rail then indeed a new power supply is needed mine is 750watt modular psu and supports 2/sata rails which have 5 connectors on each then 2 molex/rails with 4 connectors of each tho I don't use them all as my case uses 4way backplanes