Issues with 2 drives and my impatience

NtegraDryvr

Question

So here is my story.  My pool was down to about 3TB of free space so I shucked a new 12TB drive and added it to the pool via USB while I wait on new hardware to add it to my case.  DrivePool was taking so long to transfer and according to Scanner capping out around 20MB/s.  I impatiently figured if I remove one of my smaller 6TB drives that have errors on them and only duplicate files that I could put this new drive in it's place and maybe get a faster transfer so I could add this new drive to the pool.  I realized the shucked drive needs a molex to sata power adapter in order to be added to my computer (thanks WD!) which at the moment I did not have.  Plugged the original drive back in, possibly swapped SATA cables with another drive, maybe the 10TB that you see with "other" files.

When I booted back up my pool stated it was missing 2 drives, my 6TB I pulled/reinstalled and for some reason one of my 10TB drives.  All drives were disconnected when I attempted to install the new drive to the drive cage.  These 2 drives showed up underneath Non-Pooled instead.  Again, I impatiently removed the 2 "missing" drives from drive pool and added them from the Non-Pooled section and foolishly assumed DrivePool would see their contents and know what was what.  I was wrong, now the 2 drives only show up with 100% "other" content.  These drives are nearly at max capacity with data I need that should be part of my only pool as drive Z!  

Any help much appreciated!  Screenshots attached below, why such slow speeds?  I have the priority increased in DP.

image.thumb.png.75d61f0f4527b46e89003b87fa72dfbd.png

image.thumb.png.65e3a89f19c7fe1bcaaa935211c6f72a.png

13 answers to this question

So on the two drives that have close to 100% other, what you may want to do is called "seeding":

1. Stop DP service
2. On each of these drives, move the data in the current Poolpart.* folder to the new Poolpart.* folder
3. Start DP (or reboot)
4. Let DP remeasure / rebalance.

With the 12TB, if you have a precise product number you could see if, perhaps, it is a SMR drive (although AFAIK, there are no 12TB SMR HDDs by WD

7 hours ago, Umfriend said:

So on the two drives that have close to 100% other, what you may want to do is called "seeding":

1. Stop DP service
2. On each of these drives, move the data in the current Poolpart.* folder to the new Poolpart.* folder
3. Start DP (or reboot)
4. Let DP remeasure / rebalance.

With the 12TB, if you have a precise product number you could see if, perhaps, it is a SMR drive (although AFAIK, there are no 12TB SMR HDDs by WD

When I get home for the day I will take a look and see if it created a new poolpart folder and try this.

I installed Crystal Disk Mark and ran a benchmark against my new USB 12TB and was able to hit 192 fairly easily.  Everything DP does in its duplication though is capped at 20 regardless of the drive it seems and with priority elevated.

Is thjat 192 read or write. I don't know. SMR drives do well on read and sequential writes. Random writes though above a certain limit though, ouch.

If 20MB/s is a cap you experience on all drives writing through DP then there is a different issue. Time for some research, e.g. waht do you get on writing to those drives directly? You need to measure this with large, non-single file transfers I think.

Yes, hidden files and folders are showing. 

I turned on show merge conflicts and system files and these appeared. 

If you go to properties on any of these folders they are all 0 Bytes and nothing in them except $RECYCLE.BIN folder which has the actual Recycle Bin in it and a few deleted files.  There is also an empty folder named "S-1-5-21-935538498-3143052682-3837520053-1001" which gets an access denied message when you try to open it just like found.000 and System Volume Information.

My other drive behaves identically but has an additional file named "PoolPart.26a4a1d6-f0d7-4482-bf71-a3273c9b70b3" which does not appear to be a folder, under Type it also says "PoolPart.26a4a1d6-f0d7-4482-bf71-a3273c9b70b3".

image.thumb.png.f7b731f1eaf967b89f3dbfb6beb03590.png

Could the NTFS permissions have been mangled? Explorer may report folders as empty if it can no longer see the files inside? (Explorer usually runs in the current user context, but it's possible for a file or folder's permissions to be mangled such that even Administrators can no longer read them unless they "take ownership" of the file/folder and then reset the permissions)