Moving Existing files to PullPart.xxxx question

EEFCliff

Question

Hello,

I recently purchased the software (thank you!) for a few reasons but mainly because i had a bunch of movies, TV shows & music that already existed on most of my drives and didnt want to have to try and move them over to fill up a few drives to free up enough space to start a Pool using WIndows software. My set up consist of two SSD drives (256gb each), three 8TB drives (2 external 1 internal), one 5TB (external) and one 4TB (external) drive. I also have two more external 8TB hard drives I want to eventually move over to my pool but for now I have enough work to do with what I have added lol. I read the instructions on how to move the existing files I wanted in the pool to the "PullPart.xxx" folders that are hidden. When I started my project only one of the 8TB external hard drives was brand new and never used. 

My question is, or my goal really, how can I optimize my pool to have all of the files be balanced across all of the drives (or just the 8TB drives if I have to) so that not 1 drive is almost full and they are all even? I am pretty new/green to all of this stuff so I fear I might mess something up... BTW I use this setup for Plex and was getting tired of moving files around several drives to free up space... Should I have just moved all of the data over to the drive pool using file manager instead of adding them into the PullPart folder? I was just trying to make the set up quicker but if I have to change something im willing to do so.

Also note that I added the SSD optimizer and Disk Space Equalizer. If I did this in error please let me know. Also let me know if there is any additional information you need on my part. 

Thanks in Advance for any assistance you can give me and once again thank you so much for this great solution to my problem i had!

9 answers to this question

First if all, thank you for your response. So the order I have my balancers in are as followed (from top to bottom):

Stablebit Scanner

Disk Space Equalizer

SSD Optimizer

Drive Usage Limiter

Prevent Drive Overfill

Duplication Space Optimizer

Volume Equalizer

Under the Limiter I have all boxes check for all of the HD (I'm thinking I need to uncheck SSD boxes to use them as Optimizers?). After I run the balancer I still get the "File Distribution not optimal" message after it finishes and all of my drives are still uneven as far as media on them. Am I missing something? I don't know if it helps but I'm running WIndows 10 Pro for all of this.

the plugins can fight against each other so to test only have one enabled related to equalising the drive space

(i dont bother with this as its just moving the deck chairs on the titanic and although its nice to see equal space used/unused per disk - it does not achieve much of anything and means a lot of extra copying and moving just to achieve this - does not speed up drives etc)

run it for a day or so so you understand what it does and how the options affect the result

rinse and repeat with the others

then try combinations

etc

I don't understand. At default settings, DP would already re-allocate files so that you would have an optimal distribution. Optimal in that case means that each drive has (approximately) the same amount of free space. If you have SSDs as cache and Scanner then you want to have Scanner at top, then SSD Optimizer.

You can use the Disk Space Equalizer, I think to get all drives filled to [x]% but see no reason to do that. IMHO, with DP, default settings work very well without complicating matters.

I think I understand you "seeded" the drives. That is perfectly fine. DP will rearrange files afterwards.

Thank you both for your responses, I really appreciate you trying to assist me. Umfriend, I am going to try what you recommended and see if that helps. Also I am new to this whole world so so I apologize if I use the wrong terminology to explain my set up and issues. Spider99, I mainly wanted to spread the data across the drives because I added a brand new 8TB drive to the mix which had nothing written on it and wanted to make sure to free up space on my other drives that were closer to being full, thats all. 

Side note - It is my understanding that when you use SSDs as Cache drives that new media will be downloaded into the Pool on these first (because they are faster drives) and then get moved over to the Archive drives on my next Balancing correct? 

No worries, we're all friendly here and just trying to help.

So with default settings the new 8TB HDD would indeed be used and data would be offloaded of some other HDDs. On the SSD Cache / SSD Optimizer, I *think* you are right but I never tried it myself so I am not entirely sure. But there is documentation on the website and you can search the forums, it is a treasure for info.

After I disabled the Disk Space Equalizer it did exactly as I thought it would, Used the SSDs to add new content and once I balance everything again it removes the content from the SSDs over to the Archive drives. I'm happy with it doing that as that was kind of my main focus going into this project. That and having all my drives show up as one massive drive.