GSuite RIP, No More Unlimited

jaynew

Question

So today Google announced GSuite is being rebranded Workspace, and with that unlimited storage options go enterprise only - minimum of 300 users for an enterprise account.

I called support and they claim that the data we have up there already will stay after the transition on 15JAN2021, but we won't be able to upload any new files. Just able to read the data.

My question then becomes - can StableBit CloudDrive work in read-only mode with a cloud provider?

If we're not uploading any new data, will the program allow us to read from Google correctly without writing to Google?

23 answers to this question

On 10/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, jaynew said:

So today Google announced GSuite is being rebranded Workspace, and with that unlimited storage options go enterprise only - minimum of 300 users for an enterprise account.

I called support and they claim that the data we have up there already will stay after the transition on 15JAN2021, but we won't be able to upload any new files. Just able to read the data.

My question then becomes - can StableBit CloudDrive work in read-only mode with a cloud provider?

If we're not uploading any new data, will the program allow us to read from Google correctly without writing to Google?

Another question is, does anyone have another provider comparable or better to gdrive? In terms of costs and quotas?

It looks like Google's Enterprise Standard plan still has unlimited for even a single user for $20 a month. So this change appears to be little more than a price increase for people who were previously using their unlimited business plan. That remains, to my knowledge, the only provider comparable to Google's own previous plan.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:29 PM, JulesTop said:

Another question is, does anyone have another provider comparable or better to gdrive? In terms of costs and quotas?

Dropbox has an offer of unlimited space "dropbox business advanced" but at least 3 useres have to pay. I opend in off-topic a thread, where I already aked if someone is willing to team up for a dropbox business advanced account or another unlimited space provider.

On 10/17/2020 at 7:22 PM, Simon83 said:

Dropbox has an offer of unlimited space "dropbox business advanced" but at least 3 useres have to pay. I opend in off-topic a thread, where I already aked if someone is willing to team up for a dropbox business advanced account or another unlimited space provider.

Hi Simon,  good idea.... I think box.com is cheaper ?  

On 10/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, srcrist said:

It looks like Google's Enterprise Standard plan still has unlimited for even a single user for $20 a month. So this change appears to be little more than a price increase for people who were previously using their unlimited business plan. That remains, to my knowledge, the only provider comparable to Google's own previous plan.

I can confirm you can upgrade to the enterprise plan with 1 user for 20 bucks and it includes unlimited storage, you can do it through your admin console > add subscription. It will show your old plan and allow you to upgrade to any of the new ones including enterprise.

Enterprise also seemed to remove the user limit. 

https://workspace.google.com/pricing.html

"Business Starter, Business Standard, and Business Plus plans can be purchased for a maximum of 300 users. There is no minimum or maximum user limit for Enterprise plans."

Bumping this a little instead of starting a new one..

I'm still running GSuite Business with same unlimited storage as before. I've heard some people have been urged to upgrade by Google, but I haven't gotten any mails or anything. I wonder if I'm grandfathered in perhaps.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:47 PM, Kraevin said:

Enterprise also seemed to remove the user limit. 

Actually, they didn't:
image.png.5c2f660c5ef2411321431d61c407e6fb.png

If they did, I'd just upgrade to have everything proper. I have 2 users now, as there was rumors late-2020 that Google were gonna clean up single users soon who were "abusing" their limits (by a lot) but leave those with 2 or more alone. I guess that's a possible reason I may not have heard anything as well. 2 business users is just a tad above what I'd have to pay for a single enterprise std. The process looks simple, but so far I haven't had a reason to do anything ..

On 2/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, Thronic said:

Bumping this a little instead of starting a new one..

I'm still running GSuite Business with same unlimited storage as before. I've heard some people have been urged to upgrade by Google, but I haven't gotten any mails or anything. I wonder if I'm grandfathered in perhaps.

Actually, they didn't:
image.png.5c2f660c5ef2411321431d61c407e6fb.png

If they did, I'd just upgrade to have everything proper. I have 2 users now, as there was rumors late-2020 that Google were gonna clean up single users soon who were "abusing" their limits (by a lot) but leave those with 2 or more alone. I guess that's a possible reason I may not have heard anything as well. 2 business users is just a tad above what I'd have to pay for a single enterprise std. The process looks simple, but so far I haven't had a reason to do anything ..

I live in Germany and I paniced a litte, as I read about tha change, so planned, what to do, when they would push me to change, but nothing happend since then. Seems, google is just google. And I like them for that :) 

AFAIK only major reseller receive order to migrate their customer to Workspace.

If you are a single user on a GSuite Business plan, no one received any information to migrate except an email stating that we are not forced to move yet but a migration plan will be communicated someday. It's been over 6 months now.

I received the email below on November 17, 2021 from Google stating that I would need to make the transition from GSuite to Workspace by January 31, 2022, otherwise they would automatically make the change for me.  I currently pay for a single user on G Suite Business with about 12TB of data uploaded, and I'm concerned that they will enforce the 1TB limit on Workspace Enterprise Standard for less than 5 users.  Can anyone comment on this?

Screenshot 2021-11-22 090140.png

Screenshot 2021-11-22 090025.png

13 minutes ago, Rmiles403 said:

I received the email below on November 17, 2021 from Google stating that I would need to make the transition from GSuite to Workspace by January 31, 2022, otherwise they would automatically make the change for me.  I currently pay for a single user on G Suite Business with about 12TB of data uploaded, and I'm concerned that they will enforce the 1TB limit on Workspace Enterprise Standard for less than 5 users.  Can anyone comment on this?

I got the same mail a few days ago and the change to Workspace Enterprise Standard with a single user was entirely painless, just changing from "more services" under invoicing. I have 22 TB and everything still works like usual.

It seems Google support evade the question as much as possible, or try not to directly answer it. I personally interpret is as they want the business as long as it doesn't get abused too much. Only people I've heard about being limited or cancelled are those closing in on petabytes of data.

Would people be willing to share an account, I have Enterprise Standard account and am looking for 4 people to share it with so can qualify for unlimited storage. 

See attached screenshots which shows my conversation with Google Support and the plan I am on. 

I intend to keep it for long term and am willing to let the interested party to try it out for a week before arranging for any monthly payments. 

Screenshot 2023-03-14 114645.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-14 113123.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-14 111509.jpg

On 3/14/2023 at 8:18 AM, bequbed said:

Would people be willing to share an account, I have Enterprise Standard account and am looking for 4 people to share it with so can qualify for unlimited storage. 

See attached screenshots which shows my conversation with Google Support and the plan I am on. 

I intend to keep it for long term and am willing to let the interested party to try it out for a week before arranging for any monthly payments. 

Screenshot 2023-03-14 114645.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-14 113123.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-14 111509.jpg

I switched to Dropbox 'as much as you need' teams account.  Currently migrating my 350TB of google data across.   Dropbox is much much faster, and no 750gb per day upload limit.  

I spoke to their support and told them how I will use the space and that my data is encrypted.  They were fine with it.  So it feels safer than Google to me as well as faster.   

I'm willing to share one of my 2 unused accounts for a third of my bill so long as its used exclusively for stabelbit cloud drive (and you encrypt your volumes)  

Hi guys , I have had a Gdrive account for plex for several years now, two days ago I got an email from google saying that I have exceeded my storage limits in the cloud ( I currently have 40TB ) and that I have 60 days to delete the excess files, otherwise my account will go to read-only status, I checked around the web and actually this is something that is happening to others as well, it seems that google is blocking unlimited space. Did you guys get this email ?

The problem is that they give 60 days then, from what they say, the account is set to read-only, so at least for now you have to find an alternative.
Yes, I had checked dropbox too but unfortunately the costs are significantly higher, for "unlimited" space you need a minimum of 3 users with a total cost of about 70 euros per month.

Used gsuite for 5 years or so, been through most of the hurdles, ups and downs, their weird duplicate file spawns. Had a clean rclone setup for it that worked as well as could be expected, but I have to say, never been happier to go back to local storage the last couple years, mostly due to performance. And also don't have to sorry about all this anymore..

6 minutes ago, Thronic said:

Used gsuite for 5 years or so, been through most of the hurdles, ups and downs, their weird duplicate file spawns. Had a clean rclone setup for it that worked as well as could be expected, but I have to say, never been happier to go back to local storage the last couple years, mostly due to performance. And also don't have to sorry about all this anymore..

I would too, if it was possible...but its not. 

Dropbox is dead, they increase the storage per month now with only 1 TB. And the first box users get banned so unlimited is dead guys.

You can try https://sia.tech/ ~2$ for 1 TB but hard to configure, you need krypto Siacoin to start renting.

S3 compatible storage -> https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/pricing also good alternative