Unduplicated files placed on drive despite drive usage limiter

nicopolous

Question

Hi.  I have a pool with one drive with a limit via the "drive usage limiter" balancer to not place any un-duplicated files on it.  However, un-duplicated files ARE being placed on it, then moved out during balancing runs.

I thought that the limit was a real-time limit, so no files should be placed on it in the first place.  

I'm sure I'm missing something, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks image.png.db4f494e6a365ec52ce43dd3d654f00f.png:)

image.thumb.png.4b3a6084ae382fb832916d66d8e1550b.png

image.png.37841c96c1ee66aa0479dd5b2b1ef88d.png

2 answers to this question

Hmm. If the "Drive Usage Limiter" balancer is not a real-time plugin, then for what you're wanting I'd suggest trying either (1) un-ticking "Not more often than..." in the Balancing Settings, if it's okay for the file to be briefly on that drive before getting moved away, or (2) use the "SSD Optimizer" balancer plugin and set all the drives except DP6a as "SSD" so that files will only be moved to it during balancing (at which point it won't move any un-duplicated files to it)?

Thanks, you're right, those options would work - probably the SSD optimiser would be better.  The problem with option (1) is that files will *sometimes* be on that drive and, more importantly, I will also need to change the balancing ratio trigger to something like 99-100%.  All this combined will mean a lot of files moving around which I would like to avoid.

Can someone please confirm whether the "drive usage limiter" should be real-time?  The little red arrow on that drive suggests to me that it should be.

Thanks again!