CloudDrive duplicate pool to Gdrive

sfg

Question

Hi,

I know this has been covered about a million times, but I'd just like to get some clarifications on a few things with DrivePool and CloudDrive (Gdrive) before I commit to changing my existing pool configuration around and uploading a large amount of data. I would like to duplicate this entire pool to my gdrive, and I'm just trying to decide if it would be best to use cloud drive or rclone at the disk level. I would like to use clouddrive if possible as it seems the most automated and easiest to use.

I have an existing local pool consisting of ~14 drives and has ~42Tb used (all unduplicated), mounted as B:\. I created a gdrive cloud drive that is sufficient to back this all up, although I did not mount it as a lettered drive in windows (something about being larger than 63Tb causes problems?). In order to backup or duplicate this entire pool to gdrive, I have the steps figured out so far:

1. create a new pool with just gdrive (pool 2) - does not need a drive letter

2. create a new pool with gdrive AND my existing pool (pool 3) - make this new one B:\? I want the existing file structure to remain the same (ie: B:\movies, B:\tv, etc)

3. ? do I now need to move files from their existing poolpart folders into new poolpart folders? I'm a little confused here

4. enable duplication on pool 3.

Could someone clarify if my understanding here is correct? Thanks!

Additionally, once I get this all going I just have a few questions in regards to the setup:

1. Can I limit the amount of data that is uploaded per day, or set a bandwidth limit (~75mbit)?

2. In the future, can I increase the size of the cloud drive to match my physical pool?

3. If a drive fails in my physical pool (pool 1), will DrivePool automatically restore all missing data from pool 2? The only data recovery I have done (entire drive size) has been with snapraid; I have never used DrivePool for this yet.

I believe that's all I have for now... I just want to get everything clarified before I mess with existing data and upload so much, only to realize I did it incorrectly and will just have to do it all again. Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Ok, I think I have some things figured out. I created a clouddrive, and then created a new pool with my old pool and clouddrive. I only allowed unduplicated data on my local pool, and duplicated data on the cloud drive. It appears to be syncing now, so we'll see if this is all a waste of bandwidth or is doing what I want... This brought up a few more questions though.

I have an nvme drive that I used before where all new files would be written, then transferred to the spinning disk pool. Is it possible to use this with my new pool? I want it to work like this: new data -> nvme -> local spinning disk pool -> duplicated to cloud drive.

1. I added this nvme drive to my new pool with 'old pool' and clouddrive, and enabled ssd optimizer. will this work as I intend?

2. I've attached my drive usage limiter settings and ssd optimizer settings, does this look right?

3. As well, why is there such a large portion of my pool that is 'unusable for duplication'? If I add up unused space, used space, and unusable for duplication space, the total is much larger than my pool and the clouddrive. is this correct?

Thanks!

Untitled.thumb.png.3d340b7facd6da04861e24a21084158f.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Hmm, maybe I don't in fact have it working... the only two balancers I have enabled now are ordered file placement, (with my local pool listed first), and drive usage limiter ('duplicated' enabled on cloud drive, and 'duplicated' and 'unduplicated' enabled on my local pool) . Every time I copy files to my pool, they go to the cloud drive first, which copies very slowly. I'd just like all new files to be placed on the local pool first, then duplicated to the cloud drive overnight

1. how can I get this to work properly  - all new files to be placed on the local pool first, then duplicated to the cloud drive overnight?

1.thumb.png.d3b47da601cbbe9c27babfec5d91aa46.png2.thumb.png.c02d74616934df805d5eb4167eb1cbe9.png3.thumb.png.fcef309399ebe16edd62c064e5860a5d.png