how to determine what drive failed

TeleFragger

Question

Tried reading through the various posts, but didnt see my answer so figured i may as well ask here to get my answer.

I have 35 drives in my system. It states 4 are missing. I have rebooted a few times, not coming back... 

i removed them from the pool so I could at least get write access back to my pool.

my question, How can I find out the drives that are showing as missing. I am not sure if there is a loose connection or what but I need to start somewhere.

I ran a command line to get a list of disks and serial numbers, so to me that is a start but to unplug every drive and get that info is going to be a bit bothersome and i cant have my machine down that long.

my setup can be seen here

6 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Umfriend said:

I read this is as asking how to identify the actual physical drives in the case. I physically label my drives and stack them in the server according to their labels. Without something like that, I have no clue how you would be able to identify the physical drives...

Yeah that is what im thinking... 

I will have to figure it out somehow though as I am missing files. I purposely didnt care too much if I lost stuff and it seems that in actuality I do. hah 

I believe the drives are ok, just my system cant see them anymore so not sure if powering down, reseating, etc will do it but you know once you open hardware, it tends to be unforgiving...

I think if I can find the actual drives, I can verify their connections and at least pull the drives and put them in another machine to pull the files off.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:11 AM, Shane said:

If you've got Stablebit Scanner installed, hovering the mouse cursor over each drive in the DrivePool GUI will tell you the model and serial of that drive. Does that help?

will give this a try

Ok so I installed Drive Scanner and running as trial for now, but I will have to buy it as I see its benefits. Shows 6 of my drives as hot, ranging from 109F to 141F...

What would of been nice:
If I could print out to a txt file or pdf all of the information. Instead I had to copy model number and serial (glad i could) and drop it into an XLS.

Now I went to update firmware in my drives, to which some are Crucial so I downloaded Storage Executive. VERY NICE TOOL!!!!
It showed me every drive, even non Crucial, and showed me the drive number, serial, firmware and status (good health, etc). I compared the items in there to Scanner and they are the same so I am confident that I am good to go with the information now.

On 10/5/2020 at 3:14 AM, Umfriend said:

I read this is as asking how to identify the actual physical drives in the case. I physically label my drives and stack them in the server according to their labels. Without something like that, I have no clue how you would be able to identify the physical drives...

I have a mix of HDDs in MediaSonic ProBox enclosures and external USB standalone HDDs. I, too, have named and labeled my DrivePool HDDs and put them in order (DP01, DP02, DP03....). If any HDD(s) go offline, I immediately know which one is not online by looking at the DrivePool GUI. Works for me.