Replacing a damaged drive & USB HDD backup

RPGWiZaRD

Question

Hi, I've been a pretty longtime happy StableBit DrivePool + Scanner user especially because of its easy & set n' forget little administration nature (+ flexibility).

Now is my first time when I get damaged sectors (5 in my case) on one of my 3x 3TB drives on my NAS. Not necessarily the most dangerous event and might not necessarily mean that much but I just want to take all possible precaution and replace the HDDs right away if any damaged sectors shows up as it could potentially be an early sign of mechanical wear n tear.

Now onto the questions:

1. What is the recommended way to proceed in replacing the HDD, I have a NAS with 4 HDD bays of which currently 3 are occupied. I don't do any duplication as I do offline backup to a 8TB USB Drive currently every once in a while using a 3rd party "sync" software. I have the balancing set to fill upp an entire disk to 90% before starting to fill up the 2nd etc instead of spreading out the files if that matters. There's currently 4.04 / 8.18 TB free on the drivepool.

2. Would it be possible to use StableBit DrivePool duplication as means of USB HDD backup that only gets fired up when it's time to do backup? What if I in the future plan to extend my storage and I need more than 8TB backed up to USB HDDs, is it possible to make a 2x USB HDD drivepool that only gets turned on when it's time to do backup? (The idea here would be to not have to worry how to split files between the two USB HDDs in a manual fashion and as a backup method I simply prefer to do offline USB HDD backup every once in a while)

2 answers to this question

1. Add the replacement drive to the pool then tell DrivePool to remove the faulty drive from the pool. If you can't or don't want to wait for the replacement drive then you can tell DrivePool to remove the faulty drive from the pool immediately; if there's enough free space on the remaining drives it will move the files to the other drives. Either way, once you've done that, you may want to compare your pool against your backup to check that no files were damaged by the faulty drive. Note that if you have Stablebit Scanner, then DrivePool can be set to automatically evacuate a drive that Scanner detects is failing (useful if a drive decides to start dying just after you've gone to work, sleep, whatever).

2. Yes. Plug in the USB disks and create a pool that contains only those disks. The pool will only appear when one or more of those disks are plugged in. Caveat: keep in mind that if you don't (dis)connect all of the disks simultaneously, that pool will be set read-only until all of the disks are connected and DrivePool will want to verify the pool (which can take a long time if you have a lot of files) once all the disks are reconnected. You may want to temporarily stop the "StableBit DrivePool Service" service while you are (dis)connecting the disks to avoid this:

• stop DP service
  • (dis)connect all of the disks in the pool from the computer
  • start DP service