eXtreme bottlenecks

Adramelramalech

Question

I never seen my drives do this until I installed pooldrive. I transfer data and it goes normally for about 30 seconds and then it just dies. Literally goes and drops to 0kb/s, then up a little more, then down, then up, then maybe up to 60mb/s, then back down, stays under 5mb/s for a while, may go backup, may stay down. I am moving TB's of data and it has been weeks. I pause the transfer, wait some time, resume and it goes right back up to normal speeds, then drops right back down and dies. I open resource monitor and I clearly see the problem. It is reading a few files from the source driving but making a queue of way too many files to write on destination. For example, one season had 22 eps, another 12 and another 12. I sorted by write speed and the last ep, ep 22, all of the next season and a few of the next were in queue. That is 15 files. So it is reading 3-4 files and writing almost a dozen and a half. Why? that is dumb. hmmmm. Makes no sense. So how do i tell stablebit to write one file at a time?

speeds.png

speeds.png

15 answers to this question

In my experience Resource Monitor's reporting of read and write rates can lag behind what's actually happening, making it look like it's transferring more files at any given point than it really is - but that transfer graph is definitely a sign of hitting some kind of bottleneck. It's the sort of thing I'd expect to see from a large number of small files, a network drive over wireless, or a USB flash drive.

Can you tell us more about what version of DrivePool you're using (the latest "stable" release is 2.2.3.1019), what drives are involved (HDD, SSD, other), how they're hooked up (SATA, USB, other) and if you've made any changes to the Manage Pool -> Performance options (default is to have only Read striping and Real-time duplication ticked)?

Examining the Performance indicators of DrivePool (to see it, maximise the DrivePool UI and click the right-pointing triangle to the left of the word Performance) and the Performance tab of Task Manager when the bottlenecking is happening might also be useful.

Hmm. You might also want to try something other than the built-in Windows copier to see if that helps, e.g. FastCopy ?

All i know is it is taking weeks to move terabytes of data. I have no time for this and I am getting so far behind.
I just do not understand why there is no good or easy harddrive software out that there. All companies expect people to just have all these empty drives. Only reason why I am moving data is to get it into the pool. I emptied one drive, added that to the pool and just been repeating disk for disk. And these bottle necks are truly killing me.

It looks like you've got only one physical disk currently in your pool? Are you "moving" your files from a folder on that physical disk to a folder in your pool?

If so that'll lead to Windows not realising it's still the same drive "physically" and it'll be bottlenecking itself by doing copy-delete-copy-delete-copy-delete when it could just be doing move-move-move...

Just saw your latest post as I was typing the above; looks like that's what's happening? There's a MUCH faster way if so...

So many have no such issues at all. Could it be there is something somewhat specific to your situation is going on? Some here will be trying to help but it helps if you provide a bit of sensible information. So, again, have you checked Event Viewer (for IDE/ATAPI/DISK errors specifically but any other errors might be relevant) and what model HDD s this exactly?

Also, can you try to copy some represntative files to that drive F:\ instead of to the Pool?

I'm hoping for another remote session. After further reading I suspect the (main) issue may be the use of SMR drives (horribly slow during long sequential writes involving used sectors) but I'd like to confirm exactly what's going on. And if we seed the pool at least we can work around that problem for the time being.