Drivepool does not work

masterninja

Question

Hi just installed trial licens version and was looking forward too use drivepool, but I can't use it at all - i'm using win10 - on the drivepool window i can see 8 hdd's and to the right there is a plus sign and the word "add" . I clicked on add for two drives and two new drives emerged half the size of the existing ones and again with a plus sign and the word add to the right, so now there is 10 drives non pooled. I can't do anything with the drives. On top of the window there is a green stripe saying trial expire'a in xx days and under tjat there is this line of Create a new pool, clicking on that nothing happens what so ever - right clicking anywhere does not bring any menu's at all. The settings at the top right is to no use.

What the heck am I doing wrong or does the program not work

10 answers to this question

Yes, I have attached a screenshot of the drivepool window. I may have to add that during the night windows 10 has updated to the latest build 20201, upon that the drivepool window no longer shows the created drives from yesterday. In each of drives root folder resides a sub directory named something like PoolPart.f0666f48-31a9-446e-a9de-f508bf729c3d diff on each drive. But no drivepool turnes up in the drivepool window - If I add one of the drives previous added, i get an error message telling me that a drive can't be added more that ones to the pool - but there isn't any pool - the pool organisation bar in the bottom of the window also says that when moving the cursor over the bar.

Untitled 254.jpg

That's bizarre! I'd suggest the following:

1. uninstall DrivePool.
  2. delete the PoolPart.* folders on each drive (since you haven't used them yet, and since they're also not showing up in DrivePool, those folders should be safe to delete)
  3. reinstall DrivePool.
  4. "Add" your first drive. If it works properly, the "Create a New Pool" should switch to displaying your first pool and that pool's new drive letter, and the drive you added should move from the "Non-Pooled" section to the "Pooled" section.

When you created your first pool on the computer, you should also have had a "Congratulations!" window pop up with a few tips; if that didn't show up last time, it should show up now, but it only shows up once.

If you're still having problems, let us know.

Thanks, just to follow up - before I read your post, I actually uninstalled, rebooted and re-installed - which resulted in what you can see on the attached screenshots - which are back to a window with the four drives as initially indicated. I read somewhere on the forum that is has been a problem earlier that after a windows update the pool disappeared from the drivepool UI, and the fix were as i did, therefore i did it. But drivepool does still not work, so next thing must be to do what you suggest. But i'll just wait for support to come back too with their suggestion. Then I will try something

Untitled 255.jpg

Untitled 256.jpg

Untitled 257.jpg

To Shane,

Did all what you wrote, Deleted the poolpart dir's, uninstalled, rebooted and added one drive - but no change, again the result. Several tries and no change - it won't work.

so only need to buy a retail licens to se if it's the trial status that is the problem, even though it should not - but there might be a bug in program code

Has this been resolved yet?  I downloaded the trial version last night and I'm having a similar problem.

I tried using a drive that had some data on it, but kept getting this message.  I tried chkdsk on it and it tried to fix it.  One directory seemed to work after that, but the others failed.

I removed it from the pool, reformatted it, and added it back as an new and completely empty drive.  

I created a few top level directories on it.  It seemed to take a very long time to create them.  I was beginning to think the process was hanging.

I started copying files.  The first batch was about 170GB.  These seemed to copy fine.  I checked a few of them and they were all accessible and correct.

I started the next copy which was about 650GB and went to bed.  When I woke up, it. appeared that nothing had been copied and it was displaying the error saying "A device was specified that does not exist".  

I tried copying one of the files from that batch again and was told that the file existed and asked if I wanted to replace it.  When I said YES I again received the message about the device not existing.

Hi Larry, if you were able to create a pool then it sounds like your problem is different? What was the message you were getting?

Also if chkdsk is finding problems to fix, you might also want to try Stablebit Scanner or another utility that checks the SMART status of your drives to see if they're in good condition or going bad.

5 hours ago, Shane said:

Hi Larry, if you were able to create a pool then it sounds like your problem is different? What was the message you were getting?

Also if chkdsk is finding problems to fix, you might also want to try Stablebit Scanner or another utility that checks the SMART status of your drives to see if they're in good condition or going bad.

I'll give the scanner a shot and see what it comes up with.  If I still have problems with it, I'll start a new topic.

Thanks!