Windows Azure and Drivepool

zeus163

Question

Last night I integrated Windows Azure with Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2. I'm not really ready to move all my cloud storage to Azure, but I wanted to give it a try. I selected one folder on my drivepool and another that isn't on the drivepool. When I went to start the back up, it was unsuccessful almost immmediately. I tried a few more things, but the same result happened. I then decided to reconfigure my back ups without the folder from the drivepool and the operation works as intended.

Has anyone else had this problem?

6 answers to this question

We'll have to look into this.

If you could enable tracing and duplicate the issue?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

However, if the Azure backing hooks into VSS (volume shadowcopy) which I suspect it does, then that would be why it is failing on the pool and not the other disks. This would be the same reason that Windows Server Backup fails on it.

There is almost no documentation at all on how to support VSS on a file system level. We would like to support it, but it won't be a minor task. 

Sorry for my belated response. I finally had some time to enable tracing and am in the process of flushing the logs to disk so that I can zip them up and send in.

I suspect you are probably right about the VSS, but I hope that it isn't and there might be a fix for this.

Thanks!

Wow... setting this up isn't exactly straight forward (or i went about it totally wrong). And definitely not cheap, either.

Also, just FYI, if you load up the Windows Sever Backup console (wbadmin.msc, or ... the long name in Administrative Tools), it specifically mentions that it fails because it failed to take a snapshot of the volume. That means that it definitely depends on the VSS service, and therefore is not supported on the pool.

Sorry. :(

However, like the Server Backup feature, you CAN backup the drives that make up the pool. (or specifically the "PoolPart" folders on each drive).

I know this isn't the best solution, but it WILL work. Just use the console that I mentioned above to configure it.

I followed a guide from We Got Served on setting up Azure. It wasn't as easy to set up as I thought it should be and I've noticed that the dashboard add-in seems to be quite finicky. I've already had several instances of the add-in reporting that it can't connect to Azure or retrieve my account information. My thinking was to switch from Amazon S3 over to Azure for some of my more precious data. That way I will always have my data somewhere. I wasn't going to use some of the other tools that Azure offered, just storage.

Ah, okay. And yeah, I agree. Definitely not as easy as it should have been.

As for the dashboard, it's connecting to Azure's background service. Which you access by using 'wbadmin.msc' on the server as well. 

But I have checked and it definitely errors out if it has more than 800GBs to backup. :(

However, the integration and ease of use is nice. Just needs to be able to backup more from a volume (otherwise .... lots of 800GB partitions just to use it....)