Stable bit Drive Pool and HDD docking station

Mike

Question

Hi there, 

recently i ordered the stable bit bundle. I use external 5 HDD docking stations  (ICY BOX). Each docking station has two HDD drives of 2 TB capacity each. Every pear of drives belongs to a pool. Each pool is set to have those drives mirrored (duplication). Final the 5 docking stations are connected thru a usb 3 hub  to my PC (usb 3).

The speed transfer for large files is about 50MB/s. That is not an issue. Buy when it comes with very small file sizes, the speed of the transfer is very slow (<10KB/s). Is this speed acceptable? Is it because of the mirrored drives setup? 

Those speeds refers while using only the one docking station and not all of theme at once.

Michael

1 answer to this question

Hi Michael. My guess would be a latency hit from the hub itself (due to the nature of USB). You might want to check by seeing how much difference there is between copying the same large set of small files between (1) the PC's internal drive to a pool/icybox, (2) that pool/icybox to a different pool/icybox, (3) the different pool/icybox back to the PC's internal drive (in that order to control for any caching).

You also might want to test this with real-time duplication turned off to see if that makes any difference.